WheelDash - Garmin App (VESC support)

Hello everyone,

My post doesn’t really fit in any of the categories, so I hope it will be fine here :smiley:
I came across this forum several years ago when I was looking for information for a first e-skate build. I finally never took the plunge and turned to EUCs.
A few months ago I created an app dedicated to EUCs for Garmin watches. It’s a bit of a garage project that I started in my own corner for my own needs, and then grew a bit over the course of discussions.

It remains a niche market, but I think if some of you here own a Garmin watch (compatible with Bluetooth Low Energy) the following information may be of interest to you:
Since I replaced a dead controller with a VESC, I recently extended the compatibility of my app, so it is now compatible with any type of electric vehicle with a VESC controller.
In a nutshell, it is a standalone app, in the sense that it does not require a phone to operate, the connection between the VESC and the watch is direct.

The current version allows you to display and, if desired, record certain data uploaded by the VESC as well as the track. Here is what the main information display screen looks like:

For EUCs there is also access to the wheel parameters as well as a possible button mapping for certain actions (turning on the lights, horn), etc… For the moment I have not implemented anything like this for VESC but it is open for discussion (I really like to interact with the different communities, it gives me a lot of ideas for new features to implement).

For more information, a website is available here: https://blkfribourg.github.io/
The app is 100% free and open source (blkfribourg · GitHub).

14 Likes

I love the look of this. I have a VESC’d Onewheel that I would love to integrate with my watch. If I have understood correctly, this will work with any VESC right? And before I try it (it’s rainy outside), can it show me duty cycle? That is the most important statistic for me.

1 Like

Pretty cool ! I usualy use the metr app with my Garmin watch, but if this save the need for a phone I’m quite interested

1 Like

It does indeed support any kind of VESC based vehicle. I only tested it with firmware 6.02 (but I can code some older fw support if requested).

Regarding duty cycle yes it does, that’s one of the reason I wrote this app as I wanted to keep an eye on duty cycle (and get vibration alerts when over a defined threshold). That’s the top bar (or arc) on the screen, but you can also set duty cycle (called PWM in my app as most of the EUC community refers to it as PWM),on the central numeric indicator if you want using the app settings in Garmin connect and connect IQ.

You don’t need your phone, the watch connects directly to the VESC :grin:

If you want support, give feedback or suggest new features you can also join the project thread on vescify discord server. I also have a group on telegram (invite only, it’s mainly used by EUC betatesters but I aldo provide support here). PM me for links :grin:

That would be sweet if it worked with the og unity firmware

I’m using identical commands to those employed by VESC tools so unless the unity firmware you’re using is “outdated” I guess it should be fine. The only way to be sure about that is to give it a try (that goes for stock firmware before 6.02 as well) :grin:.

But if you can connect to your controller using VESC tools it should also work with WheelDash.

pretty sure it is outdated, I’ll give it a try but it will take a few months as I’m a long way from home

Ok ! Let me know when you’ll be able to try!

I checked and the command values are preserved over the updates. At least, the command I use to get the different variables I need has been the same since firmware v3.0.1