What's your range?

12s4p 30Q
2wd NeoHubs 85mm sleeves 77A duro

Started at 50.4V and ended at battery 36.5V

3 Likes

How do you know if your battery is running low? Seeing as it quickly stoops and doesn’t show a normal deteriorating voltage, it seems like a typical battery voltage meter and the 1st stage voltage cutoff from the vesc cannot spare you much time to get yourself hauled back to base/destination without damaging the cells before you could notice.
What do you use to check your % mid ride Brian? @b264

I’ve gotten 2.7 miles off of a 6s 2200mAh lipo running a gear ratio of (18/40) 2.2) on 97mm flywheel clones and a mono drive 6384 ‘China special‘ motor on a 4.12 flipsky esc.
Topped out at around 17-18 right off the charger, but that ride was probably cruising at around 12 mph the whole time.

1 Like

You took a 3 hour long ride!?

what esc are you using? :o

1 Like

these things

But after you ride your skate for a long time, you and the machine become one, and you just know how far it goes. You can feel when the high cutoff happens and if you’ve got it set right, you can easily go for a couple miles before you’re empty so I’ve not been stranded because of that. Ever. Range anxiety is a very, very, very real thing. But for me anyway, getting stuck away from home with a dead battery seems to be a nonexistant thing. Range anxiety is more a mental problem than a physical problem. Especially considering a $10 Lyft ride is in your pocket at all times… if you’d ever be totally stuck.

4 Likes

On my 12s1p lipo pack (5000mAh) packs, I got about 15 mi at the beginning, 1000 miles in, they got around 10. I just got a new pack 12s1p with 5800mAh packs, so we shall see how well that does.

On the FrankenWheel, I got 15 miles EASY with absolutely shredding the battery, hill climb after hill climb, and we’re talking 20% grade hills. This runs an 8s6p pack of the Landwheel lithium polymer pouches. At the end of that range test, I still had 35% battery left, so I would imagine cruising I could get 25mi plus.

2 Likes

Hell yeah! :metal: took that ride after doing a 12 mile hike as well. Legs felt wrekt by the end

1 Like

I know the feeling. 3 separate rides and I would end every ride at 3.83 v a cell like magic every time.

I just didn’t know how it would work with lifepo4 cause like you said they stay quite consistent around 3.3v for a majority of their capacity, and then quickly drop off. How does a voltage checker like yours tell the difference between 3.3v per cell with 80% battery, and 3.3v at 30%? Seems like you wouldn’t get a true reading…?
Or is that specifically a calibrated lifepo4 capacity meter (if such a thing exists)

Is it just me or does lipo always seem to get better ranges for their mAh ratings?
Somehow you can achieve 15 miles on 5 Ah with lipos, but my battery made of lifepo4 cells is going to do about 10 miles, but with 7.5 Ah…

He may also not be charging the pack fully to 3.6 a cell. That would make sence cause then his pack would ride like a charged 12s pack the whole ride
But idk, that’s my guess

cheap vesc clone

Depends a ton on riding style, terrain, board, etc. What was your setup?

I think in my last range test I got 30km off my 12s 8ah LiPo… Had some left in the tank too.

It is such a meter, but as you noted, the percent indicator is never correct unless it says 0% or 100%. I look at the voltage itself (39.7V for example) and combine that with my knowledge of how far I feel like I’ve gone, and it gives you a pretty good idea of how far you have left. It sits at around 39.5V (3.29V/cell) for an eternity but once it starts to budge you know you have about 40% range left.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks B!

It will be a 14s3p lifepo4 pack, 7ah capacity. I’ll bet based off of people’s experience along with calculator predictions that it will get me around 9-10 miles (have not fully built it yet, and am still waiting on power supply)
On the other hand, lipo setups running 5 Ah seem to get better ranges which is confusing to me. Maybe lipo builders just like to be more gentile while riding idk

1 Like

Thank you for this data point. I suspected this is what could be had but wasn’t sure. What kind of average speed? Are you a glider / free roller or do you hammer and stop and lot?

4 Likes

possible correlation between experience level in riders and the types of packs they use.

5 Likes

It depends how I ride. If I’m cruising with my sister and she’s on a bike then I usually can get up to 40-50 miles (Davega Est. Range) since it’s a very slow ride (usually under 12mph)

If I am riding at my normal pace on a 12s4p 30Q then I usually get 20 miles give or take with a stop and go hard acceleration 25 mph avg with bursts to 35’s. This is single drive 6374 with TB110’s and 16/40 gearing.

1 Like