What was your first esk8 and where is it now?

Its definitely a good beginner board so if i ever have a friend that wants to get into esk8 and or wants something portable, that board is a picker for sure. I already built a small commuter board that is of similar weight and has more range so i’m all good :smiley:

3 Likes

I think you need to check Linny’s Builder Showcase. He has evolved considerably.

3 Likes

I like it for two reasons

1. Has a kick tail
  2. Super portable
2 Likes

Had many push skates over the years but my first esk8 was this Frankenboard

I cannabalized it and it was sitting parted out in the shop for a few months before being reborn with hub motors. Frankenboard II

5 Likes

Board1

1. Single motor + discarded race car esc + hobbyking b-grade 4Ah 6S lipo
  2. Dual motor + discarded race car esc + hobbyking b-grade 4Ah 6S lipo
  3. Upgrade to VESC 4.12 + 8AH 8S lipo battery both in waterproof casings
  4. That lipo got fully drained over winter, so replaced damaged battery with a discarded 16AH 5S battery.

Board 2

Board 3

3 Likes

My first board is my current board. Been riding it for two years now.

Started off as a single drive 6374 with a 10s4p 30q and then one day I woke up to a dual diagonal board.

Deck is 36"and has a kick tail of course.

2 Likes

You asked for it.

DISCLAIMER I didn’t know esk8 was even a thing or that any of you existed when I started and finished this monster.

dd7228e6bb1450a8b320c5821dc385b7096074f0

It had heavy ass sla batteries. I quickly upgraded to lithium ion. Shitty Chinese junk cells but still an improvement.

I wanted programmability or some sense of intelligence to be in this new project. After searching general terms, I discovered vesc was what I was looking for. Vesc led me to the old forum and there was no looking back.

It’s currently in my garage in shambles just to remind me that I can always do better.

3 Likes

I bought an Evolve Carbon GT when they were new because it seemed a lot easier than parking a car downtown and emits no air pollution. I still have it. The battery is absolute shit.

Where do you get your electricity from

I used to ride my ownboard w1s hub board as my first board, it was good but it’s just not great as a belt drive board…

I’ve always wanted a boosted but it’s just isn’t something that make sense to buy due to the price…

I ended up getting my own foosted with parts from different vendors and sold my w1s locally to another dude :+1:

My first (and only diy) Build is sitting in my garage waiting for the rest of the parts to come so I can upgrade it to a dual drive Evo 36…

I’m a noob. I bought a skatebolt and rode it daily till it’s death three months later. Sent it back. Got it fixed and then crashed hard after ten months of riding it. Decided i needed an AT board for the streets in my city so I bought a trampa which I have rebuilt twice and am about to do its third and final build. The skatebolt hangs on my wall with all my other boards. It got me into eboards so I use it to get others into it.

3 Likes

@moon I made a thread just for this myth.

4 Likes

59b396b4b6f0733c2b84bdf5ee8527b983c2b7b9_2_690x389

1 Like

I did not want to invest the time to build a board and figured I would avoid costly mistakes by going with a prebuilt. It did not go exactly as planned but that is another story…

This is my first post when I was researching what board to buy.

3 Likes

First was the Evolve Carbon GT. Second is a DIY

2 Likes

My first was an Evolve Bamboo GT, but I’ve got 26% hills so that was doomed.

My second and current is my dual Max6, 6374 SK3, e-toxx mini, Trampa board.

Forgot to add, I sold the BGT to start my DIY building fund.

8 Likes

Started to order parts month after month in 2013, ended with a faulty but rolling build in summer 2014 …

but ...

I ride it all summer until visiting a GR in Paris where okp find the issue of the wrong FW shared by APS. No grub screww on the motor pulley (just the keyway), no fuse …
before that, I never do any DIY. Got no tool, no DIY, no welding, electronic or electric knowledge
And immediatly become an addict!

Setup : Madrid deck custom - 10s 8Ah - ESC APS - 6374 170kv - single mount APS - 15x32T 9mm - FW 83mm - GT2B - FG enclosure
Blog (with more pics) : Deck - elec. - enclosure - meca. - finish

I sold it to a now friend GT bicycle rider Simon P. :

First test ride when he buy it from me, he do a full throttle vmax test, I was stocked … :open_mouth:
He starts destroy it in less than a yr :laughing:

6 Likes

First build, much things I did just so wrong (shitty motors, shitty clamb and so on) but man I knew not better that time and learned out of that. In the end it worked and got me into that eskate stuff and the board got freakin fast and dangerous :joy::joy:. I even had a little springloaded flap with a lipochecker that had an on off switch to the powerline to see the voltage (I was so proud about that back in the days :joy::joy::joy:) Also had different escs and selfmade 3d printed enclosures. I not even had a bms so I had to unscrew the enclosue every fuckin time. Now the board is probably a bench tester for stuff with only the motor and deck left :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

First esk8 I ever got was a marvelous Maverix Cruiser. I rode like crazy till the day it was raining so hard our city got flooded with 6 inches of water and I had to get home from work.

Found this hilarious description of the board
The Maverix cruiser is a 600 watt electric skateboard that gives other premium boards a run for their money. The Maverix brand has a wide range of electric skateboards with the powerful 600 watt cruiser leading the way. With features like ABS anti-lock brakes, a high quality maple deck and three speed settings this board will be the perfect fit for many riders. Read the full Maverix electric skateboard review below.

Performance

Max Speed – 16 mph: This is not a very high speed for people that are looking for an adrenaline pumping exciting, ride but it is the perfect speed for people that are simply looking to cruise and relax. Hence the name Maverix “Cruiser”.

Range – 9 miles: For a cruiser skateboard you would expect more miles out of it like the Yuneec E-Go Cruiser. The E-Go Cruiser does cost more than the Maverix but it has double the riding range (18 miles) . The Maverix is only $600 so the short range is a fair trade off. Keep in mind that if you are a light weight rider and do not continuously ride at max speed you should be able to extend the range of this board to 10 or 11 miles.

Power – 600 watts: This powerful motor is what allows for the Maverix Cruiser to reach 16 mph with great efficiency. For your safety, the Maverix Cruiser comes with a leash that clips on to you and kills the motor if you fall off the board. This feature will save you the trouble of having to chase an out of control high speed electric skateboard

Weight – 44 pounds: 44 pounds is slightly above the average weight for an electric skateboards at this price range but it is still a manageable weight. You may have a bit of a hard time carrying this board on the train or the bus but it is great for a ride through park or your local streets.

Deck- 45.5 Inches long and 11 inches in width. Made from a laminated maple deck with stylish graphic designs on top. The Maverix Crusier deck has a maximum weight capacity of 198 pound.

Battery – Lithium Li-Fe PO4 polymer ,36V, 12Ah. The battery charges from empty to full in an average of about 7 hours. This is a fairly long charge time

Wheels – 4” caoutchouc rubber wheels with aluminum rims.

Then from there, went down the Chinese road.
Before

After

Koowheel:

Buffalo:
Yuneec:
And now I’m trying for the second time to finish my first DIY trampa topmount :slight_smile:

4 Likes