What should I do next? (Battery help)

Hey guys

I got my battery a while back and I still haven’t used it. I’m scared it’s going to drop down to 0 volts by the time it is used. What should I do? I previously burned my charge port so I am installing the new one.

Can you elaborate on exactly what parts you have, the problems you’ve experienced, and how you’re worried about it?

A battery will only discharge to 0V if there is an internal short in the wiring

3 Likes

I’ve had a 10s4p samsung 25r pack charged to 41 ish volts and forgot about it. The pack sat for 18months and volt was 40.1 last time I checked

3 Likes

Ok good.

Right now I have my pack from my builder. I still haven’t used it. I need to test the polarity of the charge port right?

Yeah a battery will not self-discharge at any appreciable rate unless there is something seriously wrong with it or it’s BMS. If you are worried about it, then charge it once a month or so.

1 Like

If the chare port reads some value more than 3 times the series count I wouldn’t be too worried, but you really want it to be at storage voltage (3.6v per cell)

2 Likes

Well I need to know how to read it. Last time I was told you stick the prongs in there… explosion. Luckily the pack was ok and it was just the charge port. I have a replacement now and I was wondering what I should do to test it. Do I need to?

1 Like

ride it at 30+mph

super great and safe test

4 Likes

Oh you need a little setup to test the port, I use a male female barrel port connected to some alligator leads so I can safely connect it to a multimeter

5 Likes

I just stopped using barrel connectors. I hate them. Super fragile and can’t handle a lot of current. Also too easy to short.

1 Like

What’s your connector of choice?

1 Like

XLR or LP-20

2 Likes

What should I do though?

Wdym a little setup? Last time I had everything plugged in with the loop key out and the batt out not plugged into anything

To measure a 5.5mm barrel port you need a plug that you stick in there that you can read off of or you’ll blow up the port

1 Like

Yeah. Last time I bridged the gap from the side and the midde

1 Like

I’m gonna call this suicide cable method.

Your charge port on your battery is female 5.5 barrel.
Grab a male 5.5 barrel, cut the wires and strip the insulation. Connect your meter probes to there and be fucking careful you keep them as far away from each other as possible. (Insulate or be defibrilate, that’s what I say) and you should be able to figure out the polarity

2 Likes

I shouldn’t stick them in the charge port right?

1 Like