What’s your Eskating style?

Sliding an Elongboard takes a bit more of power because everything is way heavier than a classic skateboard, but if you learn to brake at the correct time when you initiate the slide it will be so much easier for your wheels to brake traction and for you to slide!

1 Like

At some point 2-3 years ago, I wanted to add slides to my skill set, but I was busy focusing on reliability of builds and sneaking up on my past top speeds. DIY building took over skating.

I gave away my last urethane set 2 months ago. Urethane is fun until it’s not. I can’t hop curbs or hit railroad tracks on thane.

I race up hill after the down hill guys finish. It’s fun to watch them, the sponsored guys have way more raw riding skill than I have, but I love passing cars up hill and daydreaming what I can do myself to go even faster.

4 Likes

Mines a mix of commuting and joy riding. I’ve been mostly on shorter boards, but I tend to cruise at more moderate speeds than blast all the time.
Not really a fan of sustained high speed 28+ for distances. I’d rather be downtown on some smooth city streets swerving in an out of pylons from the bike lane into an empty street and cracking the throttle between some aggressive cornering down side street. I like boards that feel nimble, quick and punchy. My average speeds on my favorite runs never break 25

I’ve only ridden a few, but to date I haven’t touched an emtb I had any interest in. Nor have I been crazy about the maneuverability of trucks over 240 ish.
Working on 3 boards all under 36” at the moment and the only board over that length I’ve really enjoyed ripping on that was surprisingly nimble was the AVX drive sub century I built a friend this year.

3 Likes

I like off road tbh, here in the UK its not legal and its less hassle to go hit some trails or whatever, Its also more fun for me to ride off road than on the roads and even when I do ride on the roads I take my electric mountainboard and fully strap in the same as I would for off road.

I am trying to learn to do tricks and whatever but I feel it takes time and commitment, something that is a little shorter as you get older. The most I can manage at the moment is some mellow jumps. For me and I guess a lot of other guys its about community and being with friends - I guess thats a lot of what makes this hobby tick.

6 Likes

Shout-out to all the baby riders! I am 21. My riding style is calmer than most on here. Top speed for me is 30mph. My board tops out there, so I can’t go any faster. I don’t want to either.

I tend to prefer bike paths… When they are smooth.

this is an actual bike path from the city I ride in… Did not find an example, but there are ones with “speed stoppers” too, that are basically raw cobblestone, not even comfortable on an actual bike.

But the roads in these spots are not much better :sweat_smile: trams, busses, train tracks, cars. All going at crawlspeed.

Ideally I like to go around 25 at wide smooth paved bike paths and pass bikes and vespas. Carving left to right. Realistically I end up going 10mph in stop and go traffic.

Hoping my discovery cloud wheels I get soon will help lower the vibrations from our paths.

3 Likes

God, that’s rough! You can tell the city designers don’t cycle themselves :angry:

4 Likes

I’m 33, a former paramedic and I feel the same. I’ll scratch 30-35 mph at times but it’s rare. But I always come back to the same advice for people
It’s not the fall, it’s the sudden stop that hurts. 30 mph crashes can do some serious damage. I’m not interested in dressing like robo cop to do a skateboard ride, so those speeds are t something I like to flirt with a lot. Additionally, roads are covered with cars and other items that could make the “sudden stop” that much worse. I always think of that video of the guy slapping his face on a car bumper as he overslides a turn downhill riding.
Second, you have little control of your environment. Most car accidents are blatantly one persons fault and the other person was just driving along and following the rules. People will merge into you, pull out in front of you, clip you as they go by, the roads are unpredictable etc.

You can’t go out on public roads with a mindset that you’ll be safe because you’re a good rider. You have to go out with a defensive strategy just like most good experienced drivers do. When I’m on the board, I’m always scanning every car and pedestrian thinking to myself, what dumb shit could you pull that would wreck my day.

And let’s be honest, most of those people have no business going 40 mph. I’ve got guys near me pushing high 30s with no gear but a helmet and we’ve got guys in full armor. It’s tough

I will say, that sub century I build was really comfortable at some high speeds and I caught myself a few times going way faster than I should’ve been for what I had on. But a stable board won’t fix rider experience, unpredictable roads and other drivers or what happens when things inevitably go wrong

6 Likes

Lol.
This is funny to me.
I now have to get Robocopped out every time I go out.

It is a pain in the ass. And overkill…

But again gravity is brutal on me and last spring when I fell weird and broke my humerus I was riding pretty slow.

So I put on every imaginable pad now…

7 Likes

I’m definitely in the carving camp and usually cruise between 15-20 mph. I’m comfortable at full throttle downhill (which is usually low 30s mph in my area), but I’m 45 so I don’t do it regularly. Absolutely love my cronins for carving and stability. I also vastly prefer kicktail decks and urethane over rubber.

3 Likes

Well 2 factors imo are :
1-esk8 are the best thing to go fast without a hill but shit for anything else you would want to do with a skateboard/longboard.
2- this shit are expensive so I don’t want to wreck it. (I just bought a complet street board for less than the price of my eboard wheels)

Also I’m on internet to talk about myself obviously so my maybe more common that I think but not the most common point : I quite Strekateboarding because I broke my body to the point I could barely walk. Eskate was the only way I could manage a board without pain. Now that my body is mostly back on track I feel a bit less attracted to esk8 and lured back to pool riding

3 Likes

Ya man totally agree. I’m commuting to work and school in the city, so it’s just too unpractical to have that much gear on.

The coyote I’m building is just for that. Even if it’s the ride from the bus or subway instead of riding it the whole way there, I want it under 15lbs, under 20 mph. That way I can arrive, yank off my half shell and kick the board up and walk in. Has to be simple. Especially when I’m going into the hospital as opposed to class

I’d rather build a board with a max speed of 15 mph for short commutes than need a head to toe gear set to feel safe.

2 Likes