What’s the best cutoff voltage for a Lipo battery

Plus it depends on the quality of the lipos. The ones I got, CNHL. From what I heard their good for the price, I’m sure anybody that rocks those can vouch for that. For the budget I had, these were the next best thing to get

cutoff_start reduces the current that the vesc will pull from the battery

cutoff_end cuts input from the battery at the set voltage

you can raise the distance from start and end to help get an indicator when you battery is getting low

So for sure the end should be 37v that’s where the board will stop completely, that’s the end, the start could maybe be close to that so it starts to slow down

37 is too high

don’t forget lipo voltage bounces back, so 3.7V under load may actually be 3.8-4.0V sitting

and lipos like to sit around 3.7V for most of heir discharge cycle, i recommend 31-32V end, that way it’l be roughly 3.7 ish at the bounceback. set the start to wherever you see fit while none of the cells dip below 3 per, long as you keep you cells balanced, wchich the bms will take care of

if you’re confused just leave the cutoff settings to be stock, vesc is more conservative

Wow, I’m still learning, people are always talking about way less cycles on lipo. I’m super careful with how I treat and charge mine (if not using for more than a few days I always leave at storage voltage). But they are just regular Turnigy so don’t know how well they will hold up against a lipo pack.

All your options in the poll are too low.

Per our previous discussion

The fact that you didn’t even include higher options in your poll means it’s rigged to show you what you want to hear only, and the results will be meaningless. So you should just set your cutoffs whereever you want to, and destroy your batteries if you want to. It’s your stuff.

Only if you have spot welder and other materials already. Otheriwise, Lipos are 3 times cheaper and take 5x less time to to build. I built around 7 Li-ions when I first got into esk8. Never again. Lipos for life.

2 Likes

lipos under load arent the same as when they’re not under load, so 3.7 may be correct while sitting around, yes, but 3.7 is too high while in use

as per your poll

i’ve used more lipos, and killed less, so let that say something

2 Likes

The Lipo low lifespan comes from the RC world where they absolutely hammer their batteries. Pulling 70 amps from tiny 1.3ah batteries. If you treated the Li-ion batteries the same way, their lifepsan would drastically reduce too.

1 Like

I have always used 3.6v personally as the cut off. The idea being that 3.6v under load would probably be 3.7v resting due to voltage sage. Never had an issue. I think 3.7v might be good for high end very low IR lipos where there is no voltage sag but they are pricey and not really needed. .

1 Like

Again. I looked at the chart you sent and 37.10v is the sweet spot, not low. Perfect spot, should set it either the soft or hard, most likely hard if I’m correct

set 3.7 as your cutoff start
chtoff end can be 31-32V

Isn’t 3.6 in the danger zone for a cutoff voltage?

Too low. Say goodbye to lifespan and enjoy puffy batteries. 3.6v ideally. Lowest 3.5v

i keep syain the same thing,

3.1-3.2 under load will lead to the pack recivering to 3.6-3.7 once itms sat around for a couple minutes, it’s completely fine

It would be 3.6v under load so fairly safe.

Wouldn’t having it that low affect the batteries since it’s in the danger voltage where you don’t want to be

No. You have no idea whether it will bounce back or not. If someone is just cruising at 12mph and using minimal amps, when the voltage hit 3.1v, your batteries are fucked.

If you are racing balls to the wall, then sure. Otherwise, its too risky.

1 Like

Have 37.10v as soft cutoff and 36v hard cutoff?

Yep. just keep it round number. 37v soft, 36v hard cutoff. Your batteries will just settle to around 3.7v when you finish riding.

2 Likes