What is the purpose of hooking the charge port neg to the BMS instead of right to battery?

Most folks say that the battery continues to balance after it is charged, which means it balances simply due to the p group being 4.2ish. Dumb BMS which cannot be configured.

The entire functioning of the bleed system SHOULD be within the black on main neg terminal, and all the balance leads hooked to the pos of p groups.

This algorithm continues until all cells are balanced to within the pre-defined maximum difference in voltage and continues even after the BMS has switched off the charger. Once all cells are within this voltage, balancing will stop until power is removed and re-applied to pin 3 on the BMS (i.e. the next charge cycle).

As this states, after the BMS shuts off the charger. My charger shuts itself off. Thus, I guess, hooking the charge port leads, allow the BMS as a backstop should the charger fail to shut off.

I don’t know who is saying that, but it sounds inaccurate. Plug your charger into your BMS.

1 Like

This is correct and needs to go to the noob thread. It where we all ask our noob questions, it the question is too complicated it gets pushed out to the more technical threads. @Skatebored why do you not like and use the resources here, it’s set up to make helping each other easier. Not as an insult. Simple questions such this as individual new threads get missed and doing the wrong thing (like bypassing the charge protection of the bms) can trash your shit or burn down your board.

Bypassing the charge protection of the bms will let your charger charge any one group to 5v with one dead or low p group which im sure you can see is a fire hazard. No way the 50mw balance resistor can make up for that. This is basic basic knowledge of these battery systems, it is literally the main point of a bms. There is also a beginner basics wiki that spells this out. Not trying to be rude (tone is hard in text format) but please don’t make the news charging a homemade bomb - we bomb hills not homes here :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

When I open categories, to put thread, I didnt find a choice of noob thread.

1 Like

Because you don’t have to make a new thread for every little snafu. Just post it in an existing thread.

6 Likes
3 Likes

All good man, learning the site and the ins and outs of good forum etiquette is a process. Just look for my deleted “pictures only “ messages :rofl:

2 Likes

Also i set the tracking for that and some other threads to the highest level. That way i get notifications and can help out to try and pay back some of the help Ive received there. Also some really interesting things come up occasionally there first and are super insightful. Keeping up on the thread has definitely answered some of my questions before I even knew to ask. Like updating the bootloader when updating vesc firmware, i was stuck on that for embarrassingly too long on my first vesc build lol

1 Like

You guys scared the hell outta me with your bomb talk, so I took off my enclosure, and checked every wire, and checked balance. It was balanced, and since I run my switch AFTER the non bypassed BMS, my charge port was hooked to the in of my smart switch. Which is hooked to the p- of the BMS. I did that as it was easier to gang the charge wires there than the BMS outputs.

It had been a while since I wired it, so I doubted myself. HAd I ran my switch off battery, then to BMS, It would be wrong. This is why I wanted to be SURE of my knowledge base.

1 Like

You guys laugh it up, I spent MOST of my life withoutttttttttttttt internet. Most of you had baby teeth when you started going to forums.

2 Likes

Assumptions aren’t a good way to start.

1 Like

tenor

2 Likes

That’s your excuse to not put in the effort and rather be spoon fed?

4 Likes

if you were to skip charging through a bms and just use a fuse that’ll protect against high current but won’t protect from over-voltage.
Don’t let the uptight here discourage you.

2 Likes

If I want a switch to turn a light on and off —

What is the purpose of connecting the wire to the switch? Why not just connect the battery directly to the light?

Exactly, it does me no good to simply know the wiring, if I dont understand why. that is not learning, it is rote memorization.

I am not getting, nor can anyone explain, how and where the line of NOOB is. I use AI to search the subjects, and if they come up with NO hits, I figure, rightfully so, that it is NOT a noob question. And then so called old hands, simply rattle off the rote memorization, without answering my question, and declare me wanting to be spoonfed.

What seems abundantly clear is, anything having to do with skateboards, is a hostile tribal sect. I even explain why I am not a whiz at all things forum, and they again call it spoonfed. I dont get it.

Then another powster seems to suggest, that I use one thread, and pack every question in there till doomsday. Again, I dont understand.

just because no one’s asked it before doesn’t automatically make it a non-noob question

3 Likes

Then what does?

Dude you’re on a forum where people with STEM degrees, families, and 6 figure incomes freely give their time & hard-earned knowledge to answer even the stupidest of questions (provided they’re in the right place). Over time a lot of these people end up leaving because they’re treated shittily for no reason. This is not the way to be

Anyways, the part where your question becomes a noob question is probably where it’s not even slightly pertinent to esk8, as BMS’s & battery packs where this is commonplace have been around for decades & all of the answers in the world are already easily found in so many different places of the net (and physical manuals and legitimately probably even in encyclopedias)

Perhaps you’ve not been on the internet for long, but like. How does that conflate to asking people questions with common decency of following established order.

You seriously think you’re the first person to ask for a fully detailed explanation about convention of BMS circuitry & battery logic/safety? People living in mud huts with a single laptop for the village ran off of trash-heap windmill generated electricity are able to find answers like this on their dialup internet fart-powered modems.

2 Likes