What esc/vesc should I get

Hey guys l. I’m planning my first e-mtb build, I currently ride a landyachtz Evo with dual 6380 motors. The new build I’m planning on running mbs Darren warren deck, matrix 3 trucks, mbs rockstar hubs, mbs 8" tire, apex gear drive, dual 6384 or 63100 motors, and I’m in the process of building a 12s6p battery with Samsung 40t cells. What is the hands down best esc?

4 Likes

Probably gonna wanna get a MakerX DV6 Pro or D60, both great value to performance

If you want to spend more, you can get a Stormcore

7 Likes

Opinions on this fluctuate so much, but generally MakerX or Stormcore are the way to go rn

2 Likes

From my experience, part of what you are paying for with a Stormcore is better support. Lacroix have always responded to me within a day or two at most and at least for me they are very close (just two hour drive in my case). I found MakerX support way slower and when I had a broken unit they wanted me to send it back to China.

2 Likes

If you’re willing to take a chance on something new but which looks great on specs and should have excellent support, you might to check out the Solo offerings from @Skyart. I have some on order and I expect they’ll be great.

3 Likes

I was looking at the d60 and dv6. Wich do you think would be the better one? I seen the d60 was having issues after release. I would assume there fixed but not sure.

I think I would rather go with something already proven but thanks for the info.

1 Like

Im not sure which issues they were but I’ve run DV6 on multiple boards and it’s great, so if you don’t mind the loop key go dv6

3 Likes

Can i ask why they require a loop key?

1 Like

The new dv6 has a built in switch circuit.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the regular DV6 without any issues. Great VESC for the price. Though the DV6 Pro model can run crazy amount of amps.

2 Likes

I think it’s still a good idea to build in a loopkey, even if you don’t plan to pull it out.

5 Likes

What’s the reason for the loop key? I actually removed mine from a failed DIY I purchased…

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Never put one in my Evo build didn’t see a reason to have it and a switch

1 Like

Sounds like dv6 pro is the one to get

It provides a hard disconnect if for example you want to completely shut down a board for vacation / winter / injury / whatever. Also if there is a failure, it’s a hard disconnect, an off switch. Yet another reason is because if the builtin switch on the ESC fails, which is a rather common failure it seems, they will almost always fail “on” and then you couldn’t turn off the board (making it super easy to destroy the battery) unless you’d also put a loopkey on it.

3 Likes

Only the pro

The base dv6 doesn’t have a power switch.

6 Likes

Ahh ok thanks for the info. I might have to look into putting one on my current board. I’ve never had a problem with it draining the battery or anything after sitting all winter. But could be nice for the failure part.

The mountain board won’t need one because the esc will be in the back truck and plug into the battery box so I can always just pull that plug.

I was also trying to figure out a way to make the pelican case battery I’m building a quick release mounting so if it ever lights on fire or shorts or anything I can toss it away from the board.

That in itself is a sort of loopkey.

1 Like

One thing to be aware of with that model is it runs custom firmware