What do you guys think about trampa pcb battery packs?

I hope this insulation is resistant enough to mechanical vibration and will solve my short circuit problem

1 Like

My 4x4 was one of the re-called 2170 packs, but I volunteered to fix myself with parts sent free. The issue was down to the pack to board connection being only on three hard white urethane bushings with the top of the screws sitting barely a few mm from the lower PCB P groupings. So the screws overtime come loose for whatever reason and back out strait into the PCB and short the pack right in the centre and thenā€¦ā€¦ ā€œFuck!, FucK!!ā€ā€¦ā€¦only thing he did wrong was not light a spliff up off the burning embersā€¦.
The fix kit was a chunky CNCā€™d "ā€œdog boneā€ bracket which supports the fastening system and box instead of the three (dodgey) bushings , then they added an additional 3mm thick carbon plate onto of the bottom of the pack (on top of the countersunk screw heads) to isolate and stiffen the base of the pack so there is no way possible for a short to occur. They also added a silicon clear coating to the PCB. The Over-all pack height increased about 3mm which of course made my lid screws to short, FML. But overall, it was a tight fix. The pack is robust.
It would be good to get some type of silicon cage corner sealing kit for all the edges. They are tightly fitted but not sealedā€¦ Overall I am confident on the pack after fixing it. But I before this fix the pack was a timebomb for sureā€¦ I just ordered and received a double decker pack to build. 168 x 2170 cellsā€¦theoretical range on a 2WD setup for a lightweight is 200kmā€™s (doubtful) on Samsung 40T 3ā€™sā€¦ā€¦Iā€™m going to call the build the HULKā€¦.hopefully Hulk donā€™t smash and burnā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.Cheers to progressā€¦
ā€¦ Unboxing my 4x4 trampa

3 Likes

I have to say, I am a fan of the dog bone. But I do wonder if it has enough give with just the adhesive rubber.

1 Like

Sure its all pretty much on the edge of possibilities. However so far so good with me.I do not get airborne howeverā€¦ I think the key factor is the use of the carbon panneling has advantages. There is another ā€œdog boneā€ which is 2 CNCd brackets spaced apart about 70mm or so, so 4 mounting points. Thats what I am using on my double pack box to spread the load better.

I believe they did not appreciate your suggestion.

Instead, they seemed to have gone with:

:fu::sunglasses::fu:

2 Likes

As long as theyā€™re smilingā€¦:grin:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry. I had no plans to start a new thread, here I pasted a some of pictures of a ā€œhome madeā€ battery pack as a cheaper alternative to the Trumpa battery pack.

i think maybe you have just stolen my heart.

Also your idea for a pack is awesome and would make an amazing thread that i think people could give you a lot of solid feedback in. This community is always looking out for new battery construction methods. No pressure, just encouragement.

3 Likes

Sorry Iā€™m new here and Iā€™d like to edit the post above due to a grammatical error but I donā€™t see the option to edit the post.

1 Like

PM me what youā€™d like it to say and I can edit it for you.

I wonder who designed that box.

Who do we know at Trumpa that is a super professional designer of boxes?

5 Likes

paper and tape.

keep the complexity and ā€œingeniousnessā€ out of my battery and put it in trucks or motor controllers or remotes or decks or enclosures or something.

nothing beats the simplicity and cell density of kapton and fishpaper when applied thoughtfully. no screws to come loose, no carbon plates to short, no weird integrated electronics with exposed contacts everywhereā€¦

2 Likes