What do you do, when you have a power outtage?

It would be an interesting discussion what you people do, when you have power outtage like me right now.:grimacing:

5 Likes

Drive a car? We got a small genny that gets dragged out during an outage

1 Like

This works for me

11 Likes

I started a print five minutes before this happened.:joy:

2 Likes

Oof, at least it didn’t cut near the end of a 2 day print…it’s infuriating when that happens

How do you savages not have your printers on a UPS?

8 Likes

I charge my board before the outage then ride it when powers out.

Once that’s depleted I just sit and contemplate my life because everything I do needs internet and power.

6 Likes

But hey power panic feature, if you print with a sd card.

1 Like

Would be an idea, but costwise…

This.

Also update your firmware. Marlin has print resume after power outage now.

1 Like

Light some candles, have a drink to get in the mood… if the wife is out practice onanistic pursuits.

3 Likes

The inlet is 2 phase (240v).

The gennie is single phase (110v).

I have a nasty hack cable that ties both hots on the gennie input to the single hot on the 5-15 plug on the honda. I put a kill-a-watt inline so I know how much juice the house is pulling. Switchover procedure is:

• turn off mains breaker
  • turn off all 2 gang breakers (240v)
  • turn off all nonessential breakers (all breakers are marked)
  • flip interlock
  • fire up gennie
  • plug it in

The house runs on less than 100w idle :slight_smile: Gas heat works, all lights are LED and work. The fridge works. The FIOS and router/ap work. The laser printer pops the gennie breaker :slight_smile: The home theater works, but the plasma sucks like 800w. I have 1600w constant 2000w burst available.

In eco mode the generator can run like a day with the onboard 1gallon tank. The 5 gallon aux tank lets me run a few days, and I can refill without shutting down. I have a few metal 5gal jerry cans with stabilized fuel.

I have a 2nd generator I can hook up in parallel if needed.

Everything seems hacky but is really well researched and tested. The only dicey thing is the hack 1phase <-> 2phase cable, so the switchover procedure is very important, and random joes can’t do the switchover. But in theory can just run a 2 phase generator, and that issue goes away.

So all this shit seems cray cray, but I had been building up to it for like 2 years thinking I’m nuts, and a few months after completion, Sandy hit and I was watching movies with surround sound on my plasma. :slight_smile:

Typical portable generator setups have a mini subpanel, and you choose which outlets will have generator power. Costs a pretty penny. Fuck that. I choose which outlets are lit by flipping the breaker.

5 Likes

Drink and sexy time with the lady is usually my go to. I take a break from riding my board and ride something else if you know what I mean :wink: (ps please dont ban me for this)

2 Likes

Back online since 7:00pm.
@JoelM Riding the esk8 gal.:sunglasses:
Unfortunately not for at a time :wink:

1 Like

8000w generator. Gets the job done like there wasn’t a power outage. Since my hot water and furnace are gas I really dont lose any comforts.

2 Likes

Nice my old house had a breaker box for a generator. Just flip it to the other panel and turn on the generator and you are good to go!

2 Likes

Mine is usually esk8 til my board(s) die, and then sit for an hour til my electronics die… Then finally analog skate and remember that I drained my boards in the first 2h of the power outage already…