What do we consider stable? (VESC firmware, Community Fork Discussion, (SERIOUS)

Oh boo :frowning:

6 Likes

Current VESC firmware is definitely at a much different place now than it was when Ackmaniac was released. I think a number of features eventually found their way in or were implemented differently.

Right now I think the best approach would be to choose a stable base (even if it’s decided that is 4.1, etc) and build out quality-of-life or Esk8 specific app features surrounding that, rather than focusing on modification of the core motion control system.

I also have a few hardware projects on the horizon that I would like to tie into the mobile app, such as OSRR and an upcoming CanBUS enabled BMS.

An effort like that is very difficult on an unstable base, hence my curiosity as to what most people are using and ‘trust’.

11 Likes

We have to debrand the Tool according to trampa, meaning all graphics and all occurences of VESC, should be doable.

6 Likes

From what I know of the situation, there was Enertion, Trampa, and some C&Ds involved.

5 Likes

Ugh of course

4 Likes

Because remember, we’re working with cold fusion reactors, not electric skateboards.

7 Likes

Google has less of an ego about this sorta stuff than they do lol

6 Likes

I would actually love to see a full featured app for iOS, but because of license we cannot reuse any source code of current vesc tool.
:frowning:

5 Likes

I’m out of the whole project if any Apple stuff infiltrates this

8 Likes

Don’t be mean! Swift is beautiful! Lol

1 Like

Sorry, that was tongue-in-cheek. Well aware of the requirement to remove any trademark/copyright infringing materials.

2 Likes

This is the biggest barrier of entry. At that point we’re looking at a ground-up rewrite to go full cross-platform.

Not out of the question in long-term but that’s a pretty heavy lift to add just iOS support.

3 Likes

Swift is nigh useless in the open source world.

3 Likes

That was the consensus of the past thread.

As to comment on differing code paths, this may not be all it’s cracked up to be. Managing multiple code bases is very tedious work, even with proper software methodologies. Even differing comments can really hamper a merge.

If there are that many bugs in the code, I would suggest starting a new project from the forked version. There seems to be the right amount of technical aptitude on this forum to produce some decent software. This might give Vedder the chance to focus on hardware, knowing the community has his back on the software.

3 Likes

Guys- I’m not sure if everyone is aware of this but B-Dawg is not a fan of Apple.

We get it. :stuck_out_tongue: All the same it boils down to what people want to put their time/energy/resources into. If someone wants to pay a developer to build out cross-platform apps, I would hope that everyone would be encouraging of that as everyone is going to have different preferences and needs. Right now its just not a huge priority in my eyes, but its a higher priority to me than features like HFI from an overall user-quality-of-life point of view, so everyone will have different priorities and features they’d prefer over others.

I promise nobody is going to force anybody to do anything here, so no need to worry.

3 Likes

What can someone who is not able to help with the coding do to contribute?

4 Likes

Test and document bugs
Language translations

5 Likes

Testing, feedback, documentation efforts, helping answer/categorize issues & PRs, translations, all sorts of things.

This project has documentation spread all over the seven? corners of this globe, it’d be great to start building a central wiki.

7 Likes

Love that thread and its spirit !

I’m not really convinced that forking the original repo is the best way to go.
Involving Ben into that spirit would be definitely better. That’s why I saw in Ben & @Deodand collaboration, a new (slightly) open door to bring our voice to Ben’s ears.

But.
I’ve been working on VESC FW since 2016 and in almost 4 years I learned how Ben consider his project.
I’ve even been lucky to chat with him face to face.

It’s hard to make him move his focus.

I’m happy to see an entire welded community speaking in one voice. That may increase the persuasion.

First of all, even before forking anything, we NEED documentation !
I started to build mine for my own purpose and started a DEV community on this other forum

Several months ago, I wanted to build also a website to gather all the VESC resources (such as FW and VT archives, documentation, tutorials…) in one place but I reconsidered this because of the V***-word-that-none-should-prononce stuff.

If we’re a good amount of motivated guys, I think this place may born !
Your thoughts ?

6 Likes

Benjamin chooses to have absolutely zero interaction with the community. This is his choice, not ours…

…until he speaks, he isn’t a part of this in my mind.

11 Likes