What do we consider stable? (VESC firmware, Community Fork Discussion, (SERIOUS)

I get the impression vedders doesn’t ride/test so he’s not able to find all the bugs and there are so many.

Ackmaniac knew what he was doing. Wish there small updates or someone continued with all the progress he made

5 Likes

Yes @DerelictRobot I also say many time this code is very messy for management. I can helping also.

9 Likes

Honestly this conversation had happened before and this thread is not likely to change @Trampa or Ben’s mind about the way that vesc releases work.

This is just helps prove the point that we need a non VESC branded clone of the vesc tool for the community. It should be easy to add a “only use stable releases” or “show unstable versions” box to the available firmware lists. And we can still pull all new changes from the main branch to keep it up to date.

Do we already have the vesc tool project forked in the open esk8 alliance GitHub?

11 Likes

We do! My thoughts exactly.

Edit: though currently unknown if the act of simply forking it creates a trademark violation or not. That topic was a bit murky last we visited.

4 Likes

can confirm. In my industry, our organization is constantly developing new firmware but clients only commit changes if a new feature is desired or bug fix required. And while it is impossible to test for all scenarios before a release; controlled limited releases are conducted in limited availability and allowed to bake prior to general availability.

This process is followed for the (30)+ Million devices we have deployed around the globe.

7 Likes

Following thread.

3 Likes

just curious, apart from hfi, what features do newer firmware have that isn’t in Ack 3.03? which modern ESC’s aren’t well supported by Ack 3.03, other than Unity?

normally, i would just read the changelogs to get the answer myself…

2 Likes

I’m surprised by the poll results so far. I knew Ackmaniac was still being used but figured it was a much smaller crowd. Granted the sample size of this is small and DIY focused, but all the same, higher reporting % than i expected.

PS: who the hell is using 3.63? you nihilist.

9 Likes

pffft! you dismiss this as if pew/gallup/nielsen don’t do the exact same thing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I think we need to get Vedder and Trampa on board of changing things on the master, if that means giving some more people access to help it out, do that… It’s pretty remarkable a firmarme as big as VESC not having releases, stable and development branches, etc…

I actually just started playing around with the firmware, and had some questions, asking anything on VESC forum is useless, it’s super rare to get an answer or help.

8 Likes

we already tried and failed

1 Like

I think the only real option is to fork and have a team and procedures to manage it. It’s how CyanogenMod, an Android OS Dev group I was part of did it. We forked what we considered the latest stable AOSP codebase from Google, applied our tweaks and mods and went from there. Think of Vedder like Google and his stock firmware as AOSP.

15 Likes

Hi @Scepterr

I like you already. Welcome back!

Agreed entirely. There’s a reason most decently complex software systems move to these kind of versioning control and release models. This should be no exception, and it’s a sign of a healthy and thriving open source project to have active forks and different development pockets.

8 Likes

Personally I think Vedder would prefer this to happen than getting noise from all corners of the internet about what people want/don’t want, and I get that.

5 Likes

And towards that thought, VESC is a general purpose PEV platform. An Esk8 specific fork with community-driven features using a stable base would alleviate just that.

12 Likes

True but I think Vedder brought that one onto himself by making every demo about esk8 lol

2 Likes

and weapon systems, the trademark clearly states weapon systems

VESC_TM_5435550.pdf (56.0 KB)

5 Likes

One thing, if a community driven fork happens, is that we definitely need to improve documentation. Current source code lacks a lotttttt on documentation, it’s pretty off putting for someone to pick up pace and get the hang of it. This Saturday I spent the entire day trying to figure it out my custom firmware wasn’t running on VESC when I decided to switch toolchains versions, and or course only one from 2017 worked, and of course it was not documented anywhere.

Variables names also drive me crazy, a bunch of two letters variables that you need to figure out what the hell they mean, coming from python / swift / .net I just cant understand why someone would do stuff like this…

7 Likes

Oh and if there is a community fork I think @Ackmaniac should be one of the leads

Wait…he’s not on here?

9 Likes

Nico ghosted

9 Likes