Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

You could also use it to dust your TV :grin:

4 Likes

if advanced aliens built a ring around a black hole, they could lower buckets simultaneously from spools on both sides (so the ring remains stationary) with generators attached to the spools and convert nearly the entire rest mass of the lowered objects into energy. each gram of mass has roughly the rest energy equivalent of a nuclear explosion.

^see posts 24 & 25

2 Likes

not a wild or new theory, in fact, it’s already been done. But very few in the DIY community have done it… - I’m referring to “unlimited” range accomplished by swappable batteries - just carry the replacements in our backpacks - is the 300 mile mark enough for our thirst for range?

2 Likes

Depends on how many batteries you want to carry I suppose. The more weight/batteries you add, the less efficient your drive gets of course.

2 Likes

Definitely doable. Seems like the middle 2 drones are just for lift, no steering. Sooooo much want.

4 Likes

2 Likes

This was something I wanted to make a while back.

Definitely qualifies as a weird idea, specially how the one on the right looks like some sort of insect.
Pretty sure that steering system wouldn’t work, and not just because of how much wheel scrub it has.

But it still seems so interesting to me, I think about it often.

4 Likes

Is it just exaggerated in the drawing or will the center of gravity be way higher than normal?

Second part, is it to be stood on or luged?

1 Like

They idea would be that the arms bend upward with your weight, there’s joints where the arms meet the top of the frame. so yes the height as drawn would actually be like the unloaded height and it would go about halfway down when you’re standing on it. Like a massive 8" of suspension travel.

The one on the right is basically the same thing, but was just to visualize what it might look like if you tried to use a truck to make both front wheels turn, so its just super exaggerated in lots of ways. But it also looks so cool.
On that one instead of there being joints the idea was that the arms are flexible. Which IMO makes it seem even more insect like if you imagine putting weight on it.

1 Like

Looks like Santa

2 Likes

kinda like half of this

3 Likes

Like half of that, but at the same time like doubling down and going crazy with it.

1 Like

If you had 6 of them, would those weaksauce escooter hub motors be enough to power you off-road?

3 Likes

I like where this is going… I can finally go full mantis in the woods

So in the picture @ducktaperules posted, that rectangular frame on the bottom keeps the respective side wheels’ axles all at the same height.

In the case of going over extremely rocky terrain, would your 6 wheel design have all 3 trucks able to “roll” independently?

I think that frame is just so that it can slide down stairs.

1 Like

Anyone thought about doing some kind of torque vectoring? That is, send differing torque commands to each ESC/motor/wheel, depending on the desired turning angle.
One idea would be to have the receiver hooked up to an arduino with a gyroscope. The arduino would relay the throttle command to both ESCs, but it would also determine the current lean using the gyro and add up to +X% to the throttle command for the outer motor and -X% for the inner one. This way the board is forced into the turn.
By tweaking X you would be able to configure over- or understeering.
Problem is the lean sensing, when you aren’t on flat ground the angle of the board may be interpreted as lean although you want to go straight along a hill.

2 Likes

Yeah when I was interested in a diy bajaboard I thought about E-Diff on a longboard. I thought tracking the angle of the truck hanger to the baseplate might be better.

1 Like

I’ve given it a moments thought here and there.

Mostly I think it would be cool just to try and make it self steering even though thats not really a practical use.

I have wondered quite a lot how free motors are to rotate at different speeds to act as a diff.
They’re not mechanically linked of course, but is there enough freedom for them to have slightly different speeds?

3 Likes

Yeah, probably. But still there are situations where the hanger is slightly angled but you wouldn’t want any additional steering. Like if you are going perpendicular to the slope of a hill (not sure if I express that correctly).

2 Likes

you would have the same issue with a gyro system no?

1 Like