Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

-with a given amount of fuel, a rocket in space can change (increase) its velocity by a certain amount regardless of how fast it is already moving, so suppose it can change its velocity by 5km/s

-kinetic energy increases at the square of velocity

-the formula for kinetic energy is KE (in joules) = 1/2 * (Mass KG)* (Velocity m/s)^2

so if we have the passenger section weighing 10000kg of a rocket thats already going 250km/s, the kinetic energy of the passenger section is:

1/2 * (10000kg) * (250000m/s)^2 = 3.125*10^14 joules

if the rocket increases its velocity by 5km/s, the kinetic energy is now:

1/2 * (10000kg) * (255000m/s)^2 = 3.25125*10^14 joules

but suppose the rocket which was initially 250km/s is falling towards a black hole, and at close approach reaches 32301km/s, its kinetic energy is now:

1/2 * (10000kg) * (32301000m/s)^2 = 5.216773005 * 10^18 joules

suppose the rocket has waited to do its 5km/s burn until this time, it’s kinetic energy is now:

1/2 * (10000kg) * (32306000m/s)^2 = 5.21838818 * 10^18 joules

if the rocket hadn’t done a burn, and coasted to a point where it slowed back to 250km/s it would have lost this amount of kinetic energy since close approach:

(1/2 * (10000kg) * (32301000m/s)^2) - (1/2 * (10000kg) * (250000m/s)^2) = 5.216460505*10^18 joules

but if the rocket indeed does the 5kms burn at close approach, increasing its velocity from 32301km/s to 32306km/s it still will lose the same amount of kinetic energy at the same outbound distance, leaving it with this amount of kinetic energy:

(1/2 * (10000kg) * (32306000m/s)^2) - (5.216460505 * 10^18 joules) = 1.927675*10^15 joules

the remaining velocity at the same distance where the craft had 250km/s inbound (with 5km/s burn at close approach) is now 620.91km/s:

1/2 * (10000kg) * (620914.647918m/s)^2 = 1.927675 * 10^15 joules

^In other words, with 250km/s inbound, increasing from gravity to 32301km/s at close approach, increasing further to 32306km/s with a 5km/s rocket burn at close approach, and then coasting to the same distance where the craft initially had 250km/s, the craft has 620.91km/s instead. The 5km/s rocket burn at close approach caused an effective velocity change of 370.91km/s which is a multiplication of effectiveness of the burn of a factor 74.1x, thanks to an Oberth maneuver in the vicinity of the black hole.

We need boards with integrated tesla coils, so we have unlimited energy and no more baTTERIES to carry

If I had a dollar for every time you said this :joy:

Im not going to lie, I’m out of my comfort zone here in terms of knowledge, and I don’t want to waste anyone’s time pretending to know more than I do. Thanks for the pretty animations though

3 Likes

I was going to dive in and save you, but my IQ is roughly what would result from you drinking a liter of bleach.

1 Like

for a sense of scale, if i replace the sun with sagittarius a*, the 4 million solar mass black hole at the center of the milky way, and give the planets sufficient velocity to maintain stable orbits at their present locations, the earth is orbiting at 58523km/s instead of 30.3km/s, and a year on earth lasts only 5 hours instead of 365 days…

1 Like

8" x 3.9" never-flat foam filled

2 Likes

What about having some small motors at each side of your trucks which somehow were programmed to and auto balance and maybe even turn your board for you.

No idea how to do but theoretically what would it require

A startup sound for our boards. It’s just a gimmick, but kinda cool, I think. @Ricco Would it be possible?

5 Likes

Oooh adding to that, a boot up light sequence would be neat. 3 circles around the rgb strips followed by a double “ta-da!” flash at the end.

3 Likes

What kind of sound are you thinking? Just some beeps like from a piezo buzzer, or an audio file played over a speaker?

@Venom121212, I’ll add that to my list for future TTL updates. It could be an option in the settings to enable or disable the startup light sequence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

An audio file. It would be awesome, if you can customize them yourself.

3 Likes

I have heard that you can drive two motors off one Esc if they are in a locked rotational config. i.e. fixed axle.

Two motors driving a single wheel is amusing. I dunno, wanna do it once to said I did.

Making a motor mount that holds two motors with two belts driving a wider wheel pulley could work, but that seems like a waste of axle space and the drive forces would be offset.

You could run a spur drive and have both motor pinion turning the drive wheel gear on the same axis

I pissed away 3 hours today looking at parts for my “ μSk8” project (thanks @Venom121212 for that internet sinkhole) and for RC car spur gears for a this project. (Also @Venom121212, the chrome parts project are to restart once Klause retrieves the board with the hubs in question, and when barret junction is done)

2 Likes

and some sound files for a horn with a button on the remote. meep-meep!

1 Like

Dead coyote!

1 Like

i would use mashine gun fire to get them suckers out of my way! ratatatatatatataa

6 Likes

Like the Heavy from TF2

1 Like

It’s definitely possible with a development board like this:

or this:

and a bit of additional circuitry for the speakers.

Just gotta get someone to take up the project and bring it to life.

Has anyone attempted to make a virtual differential?

My thought was to integrate a 3axis gyro into the motor controls to reduce the power to the “inside” motor when leaning hard into a turn. It should greatly improve the turning radius as well.

One more idea, moving the electronics to follow the automotive type system, where you use the CAN bus as they would in a car. One central computer that tracks all the other computers (ESC’s, light control module, battery control module, etc.). I got that idea from the ESC with a battery meter thread.

2 Likes

If u could do sounds played by the motor using the vesc that’d be the tits

4 Likes
13 Likes