Wear proper helmets for MTB - no half caps!

Today I had one of the most weird and dangerous crashes ever and without full face helmet I probably would had break my neck, jaw or teeth.

I was riding downhill on a dirt single trail and hit a tree with a front wheel. So i got catapulted forward pretty heavy. My upper body did a quarter somersault but the rest didn’t follow because my feet were strapped to my 18.4kg (40.6lbs) board. I landed on my head and my chin was pressed against my chest really hard. My head was trapped between ground and chest and during sliding at least half of my body weight pressed against it plus my head was pulled in the other direction because of friction resistance of sliding. My spine was also bent in a weird way. That it happened downhill was also not best. However when I stopped sliding I couldn’t move my head because it was still trapped. After some sideways rotation of my body I could free it.

I’m very lucky that there were no other trees or obstacles which could have hit my head or neck. I mean there were a lot of trees but I was sliding exactly on the single trail, there were only some roots.

I’m writing this topic as a reminder how important full face helmets and protectors in general are. If you are riding MTB with a half cap then please switch to full face!

The scratches are not too heavy because of dirt and roots only

Stay safe and keep riding :grin:

30 Likes

This really makes me want to buy a full face instead of half face

7 Likes

I saw a second hand one one eBay. only 5£

3 Likes

I was going to post in the bitching thread about slicing my foot open a little bit ago.

Working with metal = shoes

Riding a mountain board = proper protection

I can see how before you have a bad crash a half cap can seem good enough.

3 Likes

Bro, glad your ok! How fast were you going?

2 Likes

Thanks!
Fortunately I wasn’t riding faster than 20km/h (12.5mph) when it happened.

3 Likes

I don’t ride a mountain board but I do agree full face helmet is the way to go :+1:

Some ppl always think that it’s fine if they don’t wear a helmet or only wearing normal skate helmet cos they’re riding slow :man_shrugging:t3:

I’ve fallen multiple times and I can say that never once I regretted going all out with protection by wearing my full face helmet :slight_smile:

5 Likes

guilty as charged. when I ride around my office’s empty parking lot or up and down the block after adjusting board.

4 Likes

You really should get a full face.
I’ve seen guys break their jaws on skateboards going two miles per hour…
Getting your jaw wired shut is a horrible experience.

5 Likes

Have you had it done before?

I’ve had my jaw wired stuck for 6weeks after a surgery and it sucked big time!

5 Likes

Yeah, makes sucking dick pretty hard… Or so I’m told.

6 Likes

Haha I am guilty of that too after adjusting the settings/trucks :sweat_smile:

But I will wear my full face helmet as long as it’s a ride to the outside even if I am just going to the grocery store nearby :+1:

2 Likes

Why friend was carrying his skateboard out on the ground tripped on it and cracked his jaw😭 1.5 mph crash gotten from trying to mount no helm

2 Likes

Now that takes some talent.

3 Likes

:+1: I know lol he couldn’t talk without slurring for a year

5 Likes

Shaaaat willllly sssssucccss
H- h- hopewuwy eeewit diwont twwern emm awwwey ffffwomm esk8

3 Likes

Jesus dude. I’m glad you are ok. I’m picturing this crash in my head and it looks horrifying…
Did you have heels straps on as well?

2 Likes

Best 6 weeks ever lol

3 Likes

Yes I always ride with heel straps. Falling sucks but you can’t twist your knee/leg :man_shrugging:

8 Likes