Voyage Systems: Megan and Minnie

when can i buy a megan? :slight_smile:

any updates on release/pricing?

We have all parts on hand except for the silicone button covers. We should have those on Monday. Then I have to assemble the units and ship them to Sweden. I assume 2-3 weeks before we’re ready to ship to customers. We will maybe start taking orders a little earlier than that.

The price for the first batch will be 250 EUR / 265 USD. For EU customers, we need to charge 25% VAT, which increases the price to 312.5 EUR. This is our starting price. It will likely go up for the second batch.

We believe Megan is perfectly usable at this point but some things (especially regarding the software and documentation) are still not as polished as we would like. Therefore, we are going to advertise Megan mainly here on the forum and we hope to get the first units out to seasoned builders who will help us resolve any issues that our testers didn’t catch. Hopefully there won’t be too many.

We are confident about the hardware design and we don’t anticipate any iteration there between the first and the second batch.

19 Likes

On track for release soon? :face_holding_back_tears:

Hopefully in less than 2 weeks. There were some unexpected issues with the silicone button covers and we had to have a new batch made. Then everything got delayed since I couldn’t work on the assembly without having the silicone on hand.

8 Likes

We’re slightly late but better late than never. :slight_smile: It’s my pleasure to announce that we’re officially launching Megan sales today (Megan – Voyage Systems). Stock is limited so if you want one don’t hesitate for too long.

All Megans come with a baseplate and with a 110 cm cable. Longer (125 cm) cables can be purchased separately but we believe this will rarely be needed.

The cable comes with crimps-only at the ESC side so that one can configure it for both UART and CAN connection. We have a whole section in the user guide on how to do this.

The user guide is still missing the last part on using Megan. That’s going to be fixed soon :tm:. Promise. We believe the use is mostly intuitive and most people will manage without the user guide just fine.

There are a couple of handy items that you may consider getting along with Megan:

• CAN hub – If you have multiple CAN devices to wire up and don’t want to split wires.
  • M5 bolts – If you don’t have a hardware store nearby.
  • Cables of various lengths. The 25 cm ones should be handy with the CAN hub.

The starting price is 2900 SEK (250 EUR, 275 USD) + 25% VAT for EU customers. It will likely go up for the next batch.

It’s the first batch

This is the first batch and though we have spent a lot of time testing and we received a ton of useful feedback from our testers (thanks again @Oliver @xsynatic @philo @ShutterShock @Skyart Michal Spimr) … we’re still slightly worried there will be hiccups. Therefore, we’re first announcing the launch here and at a lower than planned price tag. We hope to get the first units out to seasoned builders who won’t freak out should anything be amiss. Both I and @rpasichnyk will of course be around to help troubleshoot any problem as quickly as possible.

Screen protector adhesion issue

One small issue I only discovered 2 days back that I want to specifically caution against is this: Megan screen protectors have anti-fingerprint (AF) coating on the out-facing side. It helps keeping the glass clean, which is nice. However, as it turns out, it also hinders the adhesion of the rubber tape we use for installing the protector. What it means is that you need to clean the protector carefully and not press too hard against it.

If the tape lets go, it’s not a major disaster. The protector then only sinks about 0.5mm. Then the display stops it from going deeper into the housing. Still, the water resistance is compromised at that point so you will want to fix it. This is a matter of unscrewing 4 bolts, removing the display from the housing and pushing the protector back in place.

Should this trouble you, you can also just flip the protector over since the AF coating is only applied to the outer side.

We are going to install the protectors reversed henceforth to prevent the issue. We will also order the next batch of protectors without the AF coating.

Tape and glass protector on a raw housing prototype.

Other issues

Other than that, we are not aware of any hardware issues. Firmware and documentation may have minor shortcomings but we believe everything is perfectly usable already and we will keep working on making it even better. Firmware updates are easy and fast thanks to the WiFi connectivity.

16 Likes

Ordered! Was hoping you would release soon, it looks amazing

2 Likes

When I was backpacking back in the days, I had three summer in a row,
I can tell you the winter after that felt depressing as hell

2 Likes

We published some handy 3D printables for Megan:
https://voyagesystems.eu/3d-models

8 Likes

I heard that Megan can do motor detection.

Can we hear more details about that ?

Both sides?

Includes sensors?

Is it the wizard that will override all your current and other motor settings or is it just foc parameters?

Id love to see a video of it in action.

No, there is no such functionality at the moment. But you can use VESC Tool together with Megan and do motor detection.

2 Likes

Ah man well then Megan team, please take my question as a feature request then!

5 Likes

RTFM! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So what does the center not-button do?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Flight attendant button

2 Likes

Hmm I thought it was the eject button.

It makes the manual appear on screen

2 Likes

I think it’s a GPS on/off button.

I pressed on the middle button really hard and now my gps doesn’t work.

4 Likes

It’s off only.

2 Likes