Voyage Systems: Megan and Minnie

I spent some time on the handlebar mount. Here’s what I came up with so far. The idea is to have a general purpose baseplate that could get attached to pretty much anything. For a quick setup one could use this simple inexpensive camera mount:

That one would attach to this part of the baseplate:

The recess would prevent any unwanted rotation. The cross shape allows 90 degree rotation.

There are also four new M3 holes that could either be used for custom solutions or one could 3D print and attach this Quad Lock adapter:

Here’s how my test print came out:

The camera mount feels very solid, even in combination with the 3D printed baseplate.

I don’t have any Quad Lock holder on hand so I haven’t been able to test that one yet. One is in the mail already though so will hopefully test soon.

One issue with the camera mount is that the screw is a bit too long:

It’s not a major issue. It still wouldn’t collide with anything inside the Megan housing. It just looks ugly. This is just a grub screw though and it’s easy to replace for a shorter one – if one can find it. This is a 1/4"-20 UNC thread. Not so easy to find in the EU (though it does exist).

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

4 Likes

You could make the plate thicker for more thread engagement, but seems pretty good otherwise. Maybe some more holes, like M4 or M5 in a square pattern for custom solutions would be nice?

1 Like

If I were to source a Beitian BK-182 for racing, would it just use the same existing plug/socket? Are any additional setups needed to get 25Hz gps on the Minnie? Would I get much less ride time storage? Also can the Minnie be bought without the GPS module?

1 Like

Yes. They keep changing the cables though so make sure the cable you got with the GPS module connects the pins correctly. You may need to repin the cable. Minnie GPS pins are clearly labeled:

No. It will work out of the box.

No. But you won’t get 25 Hz logs either. Let me explain how logging works.

A single data point consists of the data from all VESCs and from the GPS. The data is collected asynchronously. On a time line it may look something like this:

• GPS packet 1 received
  • GPS packet 2 received
  • VESC packet 1 received
  • GPS packet 3 received
  • VESC packet 2 received
  • GPS packet 4 received
  • GPS packet 5 received
  • VESC packet 3 received

Now, we log anytime we receive a VESC packet and we associate it with the latest GPS packet. So in the example above, the log would contain:

• VESC p1, GPS p2
  • VESC p2, GPS p3
  • VESC p3, GPS p5

The GPS p1 and p4 would be dropped.

The VESC data logging frequency is the constraining factor. This frequency depends on how many VESCs there are in the system (“VESC p1” would actually be the data from all VESCs). If I remember correctly, the best we were able to do in our tests was around 10 Hz.

So even if you have a 25 Hz GPS, Minnie currently won’t be able to log all the 25 GPS data points per second.

Also, there are 3 fidelity modes – high, normal, low. With high, we log everything as quickly as possible. With normal and low we drop some data points to save space. This can be easily changed in the Metr app. You will obviously want high if you’re after the highest possible resolution.

Not at the moment but we can allow it if there’s interest.

3 Likes

Are there 3D files available anywhere for the MEGAN/baseplate?
I’m finishing up a pretty non-standard board build right now, and want to add a MEGAN to it when y’all open sales. I need to drill new mounting holes, and would ideally like to do this before I button everything up…and a 3D printed baseplate model would be the perfect way to do this.

1 Like

Here you go:
megan-base-plate-v12.stp (132.5 KB)

5 Likes

Would it be possible to log VESC and GPS packets separately? So instead of writing like

vesc P1, GPS p2
vesc p2, GPS p3
Vesc p3, gps p5

It would be

Time t1, gps p1, _
Time t2, gps p2, _
Time t3, gps p3, vesc p1
Time t4, gps p4, _
Time t5, gps p5, vesc p2

The aim is to have a high resolution GPS log for better speed tracking. Not sure if that would be too high a data rate or much of a real improvement over 4hz, I haven’t used any formal databases beyond just “read and dump the contents of a serial port”

3 Likes

Of course it’s possible but it creates a special case that then needs to be handled downstream. You need a new config option for enabling this special logging mode. And then how do you even name it and how do you make it comprehensible for users. It’s all doable but nowhere near a 5 minute job.

2 Likes

FYI - Minnie is plug-and-play on the Maker X D100s. This has to be the easiest device I’ve ever installed on my board.

9 Likes

On a single D100s I also experienced ease of use. On two different story, but not due to Minnie itself.

2 Likes

Hello,
I tried to pair Minnie from Apple Iphone but its asking for code.
What right code I need type?

Regards
Tomasz

It should be printed on the Minnie.

Any thoughts of doing some sort of auditory code to relay the passcode when @glyphiks inevitably buttons up his enclosure without pairing?

2 Likes

Yeah but it only ever plays the morse code for “righto cocks”

Hi All,
Thanks, exactly there is a sticker on bottom side.
Tomasz

1 Like

We keep all pairing codes in our DB so if you tell us your order number, we should be able to tell you the pairing code.

8 Likes

Does anyone happen to have a picture of Stormcore CAN wiring where 5V is taken from another port? We’re preparing a Megan user guide and it would be really helpful if we could include a picture like that. We don’t have any Stormcore of our own.

Anyone? :pray:

1 Like

I can do it this weekend.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Doesn’t the Minnie show map overlays of where you went and all the data? I need some help.