Virgin to DP in 20 hours - First Build

Dude what a sweet build! Well done!

This makes me want a 3dprinter but then I wouldnt know how to cad anything lol this is cool love all the printed stuff !

2 Likes

Tinkercad is a nice easy online cad program. Takes ages to build anything tho :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah I just gotta say… That enclosure/kickstop combo is hella awesome. Such a cool idea.

I’ve started to really realize the benefit of having a 3d printer with custom esk8 stuff.

I don’t have the capital or the opportunity to cnc parts out of metal or anything. But for $200 I now have the ability to make any parts I want that will generally hold up for most uses (excluding motor mounts and high stress parts obviously)

Pretty amazing :ok_hand:

Definitely get a printer. I recommend the cheapest ender3 you can find and make $50 worth of upgrade. Will print whatever your heart desires.

As for CAD, everyone should learn CAD. If you are already a builder, you have the skill sets to learn CAD very easily. Start with tinkercad and then learn Fusion 360.

2 Likes

Love it! Smart for you to protect the motor and space the motor mounts simultaneously.

I have been meaning to print an enclosure in TPU but never got around to it. Looks awesome. I know it will take far more abuse than a rigid enclosure.

1 Like

Sorry for slight highjack of thread… I thought these were at least 2k that thing is only 200 rupes? Insane!
OP what printer do you have and what tpu did u use?

I know you asked OP, but basically a dual drive bondtech(or clone) direct drive extruder can pretty much print any TPU. I have had no problem with the cheapest TPU on amazon.

2 Likes

I agree about the bondtech drivegear extruder setup, but I won’t vouch for them in general as I was having difficulty printing TPU with the Prusa MK2 and MK3 printer models that used a single bontech gear. I was able to print some items at a very slow speed turning off retraction, but speed and time were a major handicap since the bontech gear was pushing against a smooth bearing in those designs, resulting in TPU to flex in the path of least resistance. Once I upgraded to the Prusa MK3S, it uses dual bondtech gears to keep the TPU aligned, and now I can print jobs in TPU for 24+ hour prints, like one of the 3 battery enclosure pieces in this build.

That’s what I meant, dual bondtech. I didn’t know they had single. My link above also takes you to dual bondtech upgrade for ender 3.

1 Like

There are great printers at the 200 range, but something that needs to be factored in is customer support and community adoption. I have read good things about the Ender3, but I can vouch for for Prusa products and buying a kit vs a prebuilt printer is the way to go. Prusa kit directions are top notch and can be followed by anyone that can follow lego directions. Knowing how the printer is built really helps troubleshooting issues as they arise.

1 Like

A 3D printer should be in every school, just like shop class introduced kids not familiar with wood working and welding, this is no different. Part of my reason for owning a 3D printer was to introduce my boys to CAD, and then they get to play with the toys they designed in Tinkercad.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’m curious how the PETG holds up against the abuse.

Once I asked dickyho to buy the AT set, he told me he currently had blue and red in stock, but silver was another option and out of stock.

I read that on your thread and decided once my PETG print breaks, I’ll reprint it with TPU and use a higher infill to still act as a motor spacer.

That’s what I assumed when I bought it, but just wanted to check. I didn’t buy it for its configurability of course, as I wanted something that is simple to plug’n’play for my first build, so I got what I paid for and accept that.

2 Likes

Regardless of an article being crap, a good title will get people to click the link and look at the pics.

2 Likes

I agree with giving Tinkercad a try. No CAD experience needed and it is 100% web based, so nothing to download or install, just sign up for a free account and try out the guided tutorial.

When I moved to Germany last year, we had 3 months until our container arrived, so we took a road trip to Prague where we toured the Prusa factory and bought the MK3 kit. Then my 9 year old used Tinkercad to create a couple cars and a garage that we printed so he had toys to play with until our belongings arrived.

3 Likes

My little 12 year old brother got an Ender 3 for Christmas last year. He’s learning Fusion 360 in his free time now

6 Likes

I sincerely wish I had this head start. I think cad should be a technical elective at all middle and high schools.

I learned cad right after college. So many jobs wanted experience in that skill. I was fortunate enough to get a free solidworks subscription through my first job, the introduction textbook, the online lessons, etc and I’m still no master. Solid modeling is an unbelievably satisfying and relaxing process.

Tell your brother a random dude on the internet thinks he’s cool. Millenials love that shit.

9 Likes

For me it felt like an extension to building stuff, which I have loved since I was a kid, with the advantage that now I can build assemble, visualize and go through 100 of iterations and arrive at a much better design that what I could possibly do in real life.

I like craftsmanship and spontaneous art but like repeatability more.

3 Likes

Cool first build! Have many safe km’s :slight_smile:

2 Likes