VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

Good to hear that the remote lasts a decent while even or rechargeable batteries.
Any quality brands you guys recommend? Hopefully with charger included

Could a setting with a different curve for NiMH batteries be incorporated into the wand firmware?

Sanyo Eneloop but even Hobbyking’s are decent

1 Like

Would be not so easy. Those batteries have different discharge curves and it depends on the cell you use.
We could make a FW with different curve and you could simply use that FW. The Wand FW will hopefully see some updates later this year.

3 Likes

I agree that the AAA cells are nice and I am using rechargeable ones in the remote. However, it would be even nicer if the cells could be recharged without physically removing them from the Wand (for which you need a screw driver), e.g. via USB or, even better, wirelessly.

3 Likes

Would it be possible to change board battery readout to a voltage display, either cell or total voltage vs the percentage readout? Or maybe some combination of both? I would much prefer to see cell voltage personally.

Would be possible. This year has been incredible demanding and finding the time work on everything simultaneously is sometimes not easy though. On top of that most people can not interpret cell voltage to batt %, just as you can not interpret it the other way around. I could imagine to make a display that changes in between the two values every 2 seconds.

2 Likes

I like it how it is ;-), however, it would be nice to see the voltage of all cells too.

Edit: giving @stratoglide and me an option what we want to see would perhaps be the best option?

1 Like

Does the Wand + NRF dongle work with the Stormcore 60D from Lacroix?

Should work, yes.

2 Likes

I can see that in my VESC-Tool App already.

I cannot, since I am on iOS (talking about the display of the Wand above).

So @Trampa when will we be getting usb updates? Been about a year now and nothing… empty promises

1 Like

You should see what you got and not what you didn’t get. Look at all the stuff like VESC FW 5 with Unity and Stormcore support for VESC-Tool, HFI, Duty Cycle current limits, and multiple FW support. Also more precise battery indicator and range estimation. The Wand will get a big update package when we put it back into the focus. There are a couple of VESC-Tool related things that need attention before attaccking the Wand FW again. For example: Before you can read the individual cell voltages on the Wand, you need the BMS code integration into VESC Tool.

4 Likes

I think cell voltage could be realistically just divided by the battery series count and estimated. It doesn’t have to be exact.

I’ve been staring at 18650 discharge curves for to long and I’m sure I’m not the only one who estimates capacity off those graphs :stuck_out_tongue:

Another feature that would be useful is being able to set an offset to the voltage reading for capacity reading purposes. Every ESC I’ve owned has had variances in correct voltage readings, which I typically account for with my bat cutoff settings but cannot be done for capacity readings currently.

2 Likes

Nice video @Trampa let your boys do more fun stuff like this :call_me_hand:
1 Like

For those that use the Wand, is the thumb knob really loose? In other words, is it a very light-strength spring behind it? I may not have the right words to describe it, but I just bought one and it is the polar opposite of my Hoyt Puck when it comes to how much force is required to push the acceleration/brake.

1 Like

Yes, it’s like 10 times lighter spring compared to puck.

Puck seemed really heavy to me after using the wand for a long time, you’ll get used to it. :crazy_face:

1 Like

For those who had difficulties to place the V1 dongle in a location with good reception.

vonnect

4 Likes

Does this come by default when buying a wand and receiver?

1 Like