VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

Glad to hear you got it working! And sounds like the enclosure was definitely playing a role there.

I’m curious why it’s not been an issue for me on other receivers with the same enclosure. RF and CF can be tricky of course.

1 Like

I just did a 3-5mile ride. No disconnects! I moved it more forward but still in enclosure. So it is a little over the halfway point of the board. No issues!

I did a “range” test before I went out. When it disconnects, there is still that “throttle runaway” before it stops.

Range test consisted of checking signal while on cruise control every few feet and turning away from the board so my body blocks it.

1 Like

It depends on signal strength. If your remote is designed to work on 400m distance, you might get away with 70% signal blocking if you are very close to the receiver.

1 Like

In case i want to use my wand for a quad with two dongles as the front vescs are not connected via can to the back vescs, would that work and if yes, which data the wand would display than?

All MCU programmers do firmware verify after uploading firmware especially stlink…

3 Likes

I haven’t had time to try out my wand until this weekend and I have serious issues with it. Used the vesc tool v1.18 first and updated the BLE dongle and vesc’s with no problem. Pairing was smooth but everything after that was anything but smooth.

• when accelerating slowly it goes to full throttle immediately.
  • When braking slowly it goes to full throttle reverse
  • When pressing slightly on the throttle wheel on the wand (like the click function on a mouse wheel) it goes to full throttle immediately.

I updated both the vesc tool to v1.19 and updated the BLE dongle and vesc’s. Same behavior as with previous version.

I’m putting the wand on the shelf for now. @Trampa how are you following up on the issues that are reported and is there a collection of known bugs so we know how things are going? Would be great if all bugs was reported on each project on GitHub.

1 Like

@M77 did that happen only on the bench or with load?
I was speaking with a guy living in my city yesterday. He ordered the trigger wand version and he has similar issues. He said that the throttle control is far from predictable. Something when he just push a bit the board accelerate with full throttle. He also told that that doesn’t happen always and he thinks it’s due to some signal issues. He has a trampa prebuilt board with the battery on the back. He changed the location of the dongle, but that didn’t help either. Unfortunately his English is not the best but I asked him to report his issues to @Trampa so that they can find out from where those issues come and in case that’s a general problem that the necessary improvements can be made for all of us.

1 Like

Bench test or standing on the board?
Use a profile with 10km/h and 20% power if you test a new setup. Get on the board in a safe spot and try. Also have a look at the bar, showing your input signal. When moving the trigger slowly, does the slider move accordingly?

On the Bench the wheels will always spin up fast, since a small current will already be powerful enough to get your wheels to speed.

Both out and on bench. When I use my other nrf remote I can spin up the wheels slowly and controlled even on the bench, they spin up easier of course.

The slider move with the motion of the trigger but it can be jumpy. With the “middle click” it jumps straight to full. When braking it can sometimes jump around and then show full forward throttle.

I haven’t had any problems with the reception.

1 Like

Send us a mail, we will ship you a new Wand and examine yours.

1 Like

Will do. Thanks. Hope to be using it soon, looks and feels great otherwise :+1:

Could anyone post the v1.18 app apk? Cant change current settings due to new apk (meant for v 1.19)

Just wait till the 1.20 is out. It’s not a long wait.

1 Like

i can only offer you 1.16 and 1.19. I dind’t download the apk for 1.18, only the windows version, sorry.

1 Like

I have those. I’m just missing the APK for 1.18. I wanted to fine tune my settings on my ride but just went for a nice casual ride w my buddy.

Thank you tho

It sucks that you cant do that if the app has been updated right? I always find out in the middle of nowhere and I am not updating my motor controllers 15 miles from home :rofl:

2 Likes

Yea, I wish they are backwards compatible unless there’s a massive update that conflicts settings.

Tried using my wand today but for some reason the included cable is to wide for my vesc. I am using the flipsky 4.20 plus. Is this known issue? Did I get wrong cable(I ordered the trampa nrf dongle along with wand)?

Hey @subarucasey the official Trampa VESC has an 8 pin COMM connection, I wanted to hook up mine to my Focbox 4.12 and had to make a new connector. I ordered some 7 pin Jst connectors and soldered the connectors to the correct pins so it lined up properly on the focbox. It should go like this

VCC on Dongle to 3.3v on focbox
Gnd on Dongle to Ground on focbox
RX on Dongle to TX on focbox
TX on Dongle to RX on focbox

Here’s a link to the correct connector on Amazon

8 SETS JST PH 2.0MM 7 Pin Female… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8JC27C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Thanks. Went ahead and ordered the connectors. Will try these out.

1 Like