Yup. Here you go.

I wired my wand as follows and it is working perfectly

VCC on Dongle to 3.3v on focbox
GROUND on Dongle to Ground on focbox
TX on Dongle to RX on focbox
RX on Dongle to TX on focbox

Thanks to all for the help!

1 Like

I made a simple case for the wand not the best but i think it does the job.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3868553

Gives me a 404

ups now its published :sweat_smile:

Did some testing last night after flashing the dongle and getting the NRF chip hooked up to my Lacroix and the wand seemed to work great in my house. Went to go for a ride today and experienced multiple disconnects to the point where I ended up going back to my nano V2 because I didn’t feel safe. I’m going to make an extension cable and mount the dongle outside of the enclosure and do some more testing but for now I’m very disappointed. The wand itself seems very high quality but the main feature I am looking for in a remote is RELIABILITY.

4 Likes

What deck are you using? Carbon fiber enclosure?

Lacroix DSS deck and enclosure. The enclosure has a carbon fiber look, not sure if it is actual carbon fiber. @Arch could tell us for sure

1 Like

I’ll be switching back to the wand this weekend to do some testing also. I have my Hoyt installed for now. Will update here.

Does anyone happen to have version 1.18? This has reverse function working. Thanks.

1 Like

Very interested in this, I have one preordered. I don’t have any carbon on my board but this is a little concerning.

It is a CF enclosure, but the deck is not so no obstruction.

I think it’s more of a theoretical issue that CF decks cause issues with RX reception. I have 2 decks with to o ayers of CF and I’ve literally never had an issue and I test most remotes that hit the market.

5 Likes

No, No, No ! This should be most reliable remote !

Dude. I have done some testing where I can be 15 meters away from the board and still control it. I bet it even goes further. It’s not the wand it’s your deck/enclosure mounting or maybe you have a faulty wand?

1 Like

Carbon fibre is like metal. It is conductive and blocks radio signals. You would not drop your receiver into a metal box and then complain about poor signal strength, would you?

1 Like

Benjamin bangs on a major VESC-Tool update and will probably finish it over the next weekend.
Logging feature, self balancing feature, bug fixes etc.
Till then VESC Tool 1.19 and FW 3.61 will stay the most recent FW.
Unfortunately FW 3.61 does not allow REVERSE mode with the Wand remote. Only Smart Reverse works. I hope everyone has the patience to wait till next week for a FIX.

This is a link to the VESC-Tool 1.18 for Windows, allowing reverse functionality in combination with the Wand. https://send.firefox.com/download/11dd27828ce1bcfd/#4VEK2W1TnGscdOzWFL0AGQ

2 Likes

This sounds fun to mess with :slight_smile:

So I’ve had some fun this morning and discovered a few things.

The joystick on the controller is not ideal, this is the shape

And corresponding shape in the thumb peice

Consequently it’s very easy to put it on so its wonky

You can solve it by adjusting the tightness of the screws that hold the thumb peice down, but I cant help but think a there should be a better design in this area. Certainly something to look into @Trampa.

Installation of trigger kit went well until I powered the device up and noticed some behaviour I hadnt seen before but I had seen mentioned here. When braking to full extent the wand would start flicking into acceleration. Now it did that for a few mins and then settled down, almost like it needs to calibrate itself. Check this video out, you can see the control doing it and then sorting itself out. I cant get it to do it now. No doubt this is because I took the batteries out of the remote to do the trigger installation

Also note the position of the antenna for the radio, below the OLED. This is no doubt because the remote is a faraday cage except where the OLED is. Still this seems to work great on my remote and I have experianced no problems with my signal strength. I intend to measure the radio on this wand at work with a spectrum analyser when I get chance and compare it to other remotes.

11 Likes

You need to step on the board and ride. Your bench test gave you no feedback from the board.
Wheels on the ground, rider on top is the only way to see proper results.

to be fair, if i would see my trigger signal jump from brake to acceleration on the bench I wouldn´t feel well to try that on the road, with me on top :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

On your remote you usually do not have a visual feedback, so you don’t worry.
You need to look at the signal input after filtering! That is done VESC side.
So you need to have a connection to a VESC.
BTW: You can always de-tune your VESC to limited power and speed.