VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

Yes, at least try it. It could have slipped through the net?

Check wiring, VCC, GND, Rx to tx, tx to rx.

1 Like

Id did check the wiring and had to change rx and tx.
But still the same issue.

I tried the dongle on an other Focbox which I didn’t touch since receiving it last year and it worked after flashing it with 3.61.
On my other two Focboxes it still does not work. These two Focboxes came from eskating.eu and Alberto did flash the Ackmaniac firmware on them for me.
Is it possible that just flashing them with the 3.61 firmware isn’t enough? Should I flash the bootloader as well?

It’s running now. I flashed the two Focboxes with the default_no_hw_limits.bin and it worked, after that flashed again with the default.bin.
I don’t know what went wrong the first time using the default.bin, everything looked good in Vesctool and the motordetection setup worked etc.

THX for your help guys!

1 Like

Did some bench idle testing without problem. So far it’s the favorite among all the remote I have. Probably going to buy another one without gun grip. With vx2 out of presale price I think wand is actually better at value/price. The feel of hold metal vs plastic is so satisfying.

2 Likes

@Trampa

Is anyone experiencing patchy signal? I’m Goofy. Everytime I move my wand more forward or even above my head. It loses signal.

I replicated this a few times by having my board on cruise control at 15km/hr. Then I move my wand just right above my helmet and board starts to slow down and eventually stop.

Is there a way to get better signal? Does this run on 2.4ghz?

3 Likes

Do you have a carbon fiber deck or enclosure?

You should try to re-locate the dongle and try again. Carbon fibre blocks the signal. Upright or sideways also plays a role.
If you hold the wand above your head, bottom side facing up, you could get some connectio issues. I’m usually not that acrobatic while riding, but I’ll give it a try tonight.

I move a lot on my board when I ride. A remote should not restrict my movements just to use it. Maybe the gyro is causing this? It thinks that I fell off the board? Is there a way to turn this off?

Yes, we (also 2 of my friends have this remote) have CF deck (hummie). The intriguing part of this is we have a better and reliable signal w our feather remote than the wand. Same board as well.

One thing I have noticed also is when the last known signal is a throttle input and you loose signal, board keeps applying throttle for what it seems like a few secs before it applies the “fail safe” and/or slows down. This happened twice and I didn’t wanna try to replicate it again :sweat_smile: Could you explain more on how the fail safe works on this remote if there is any? People have asked you about this before the release. I must have missed your answer.

I/we will try to relocate the receiver and update you again. But at this moment, we’re pretty scared on using this remote.

Whoever is in the US that has this remote, could you post some feedback please?

2 Likes

Dang that’s kinda scary :flushed:

2 Likes

What do you have your positive/negative ramping settings at?

2 Likes

POS

Neg

2 Likes

Back to Gt2b :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

That shouldn’t be high enough to explain that kind of behavior then.

I’ve personally only seen ‘runaway throttle’ when ramping time was set to like 0.9/0.3 combined with a dropping signal (dying remote). Important to clarify that I was using a Nano v2 at the time, not a Wand, and this was a result of the VESC ramping settings rather than a remote failure.

How certain are you of this time estimate? I ask, only because when you’re riding and things go wrong, milliseconds can feel like seconds, etc. Haha. It accelerating for more than 1 second would indicate the remote is still sending signal and not triggering the timeout failsafe on the VESC.

2 Likes

Haha. That’s probably it but if you’re asking me to measure it, I have no means. I know for a fact it was stuck in throttle signal when I lost signal because 1. I left off the throttle. 2. If I didn’t brake or let go of the throttle, I would have ended up in a lake. 3. Before that happened I was going slow enough to bail out.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting this, was about to purchase the remote. I was really hoping that since using NRF52/2.4ghz frequency we wouldn’t see the same disconnect issues from other DIY remotes that were using lower frequencies.

The original firefly remote was on an earlier NRF chip and on 2.4ghz and had a good track record for signal reliability. Hopefully this is a software thing.

2 Likes

First of all, when you test a new hardware setup, you de-power the board using the VESC-Tool profiles.
go for 12Km/h and maybe 30% power. Ride in a place where you can safely test things our.
That is common sense and we advised to do so.

A carbon fibre deck will definitely block the radio signal. You need to place the dongle outside of the CF enclosure. CF or metal enclosures shield the signal.

The time, you will have the last signal lasting is the TIMEOUT setting. After X milliseconds of signal loss the VESC will go into failsafe mode. That could be free rolling or a mild brake (when defined). If your signal is stable and tested, you can use a faster TIMEOUT.

However, we don’t want a unstable signal and therefore it is advisable to place the transceiver in a location with no signal blocking.

2 Likes

I just did a test with my wand, just to see what the max distance was. I got about 15 meters away and could still control the board (then I gave up), the 5 meter failsafe thing didnt kick in though @Trampa

There is no 5M fail safe. Depending of location and where you have the dongle placed, you will get a signal loss at a distance x and the VESC fail safe Timeout safe kicks in.

Ah I thought it was mentioned that it would have some fail safe if you left the board, my mistake then.

Anyways I will actually go and test the the range of the remote properly on camera, I suspect it is quite a distance