VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Oh I read your post wrong. I use forward throttle to go forwards again since if you’re rolling backwards and brake it doesn’t actually stop you.

I don’t mind it braking before reversing when I’m rolling backwards personally. Usually I’ll just let the board roll backwards and then use forwards throttle to slow myself down, no need to use reverse if you’re already rolling backwards

1 Like

There is if you wanna reverse faster/further!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the other case haha but I suck at riding switch so that would not be great for me

1 Like

Anyone have hoyt puck disconnects with the 5.2 or specifically ppm disconnects

I discussed this issue before a while back.

AFAIK @Deodand agreed that the behaviour is odd and coded a fix. I believe there was a PR for the fix.

BV wasn’t happy with the behaviour change so it never got merged, but I think it was tested and working.

IMO forward should only give you forward acceleration and reverse should only ever give you backward acceleration.

I will see if I can hunt down the PR.

5 Likes

Software versioning is funny.

In between each period, it’s treated as its own number. 01 = 1

Don’t ask why; I don’t know.

It’s confusing. 5.10 is more than 5.2 and 5.05 is more than 5.2 and 5.2 is less than 5.03.

@Trampa I have seen another case of this issue today.

Seems that @abusfullofnuns is having a similar issue. What’s more concerning is that I think he is trying up upload over SWD and is still experiencing the issue.

Hopefully this as an issue with the upload function on the tool rather than a firmware issue on the VESC. If it’s a firmware issue and it’s stopping SWD uploads then there are people bricking esc’s by updating.

@Trampa can you confirm that you and Ben are aware of this?

3 Likes

Thanks Q. I’m am indeed experiencing said behavior. I’ll attempt this again today and report back results.

1 Like

What is the HW and what was the old FW?

For me it was an Escape going from 5.1>5.2. One worked and one did not. I was not able to get it updated through can or directly connected. I also was not able to get it to flash through swd with a known good 5.2 Escape. It gives the same time out error regardless of function. I have not had experience flashing through swd before but did not use the boot loader tab on 5.2 as its new and I only followed BV instructions for older vesc tool.

Additionally, I tried updating a TB6 last night. It also failed and locked into the erase time out error. I used same cable and a good tb6 with 5.1 to repair the bricked tb6. Obviously using vesc 2.06. I can’t guarantee there wasn’t a power error during the initial tb6 fw update. I noticed this morning that the tb6 powers on just by connecting the usb. It was 2am when I gave the tb6 a shot(after bricking escape) and I may not have plugged in the loop key to give full power. Either way, that one was salvaged this morning. Will try escape next.

Wrong, I was thinking of the firmware section and not the swd programming session. Like I said, it was way late.

That was the same with the first batch of escapes and was caused by R1 being populated. It was later removed. It’s usually not good if the vesc based esc powers on by usb only.

2 Likes

If it powers up via the USB, it can fry your PC or Laptop or ESC via GND loop. So that is a problem with the PCB, since the voltage line should not be connected on the PCB.

I would flash them via SWD prog. Make sure the cable is short ( about 8cm)
Watch minute 5 onwards

3 Likes

Thanks, Frank. I did use this method and used a very short cable. It may be 9cm instead of 8cm. Process worked on TB6. Does not work with Escape. For shits and giggles,I downgraded the good escape to 5.1 and tried to flash with 2.06. Still same error.

Are you saying that I should try with a programmer instead of another vesc based esc?

You should reset the chip. Attach a cable to RST and one to any GND pin. Just before flashing, let the cables touch for a short time. Timing is important and you probably need several tries.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll play with it a bit.

@Trampa

shouldn’t bldc be slightly faster than foc?

In our tests we got better speed with FOC.

This wasn’t always the case (2years ago)?

BTW, we are now testing the KICK ASS startup for you guys. So far BV is happy with the results and our crew is itching to take the first FW upgraded boards into the woods.
No noise, full torque, no chance of failing sensors.

8 Likes