VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

@Deodand

hopefully this will upload… what you can see is the right wheel spinning up and the left wheel locked (unloaded) this causes a short spin out of the right motor till the left motor kicks in…

come to think about it, skating today I noticed the left (cranky motor) to only have a “hitch” or a cog (for a better word for it) in only one position on the stator, and I did notice a magnet slightly displaced last time I took this motor apart… could that slight magnet displacement cause the motor to loose HFI tracking in that position?

you can even see the left, topmost motor track backwards slightly just prior to it tracking straight.

just a slight jostle or nudge or hip-flick or tiny kick is enough to get HFI working on the cranky motor… am I on a fools errand adding voltage to this motor to smooth out HFI tracking?

Should the voltages then be transferred to the other motor so both motors HFI voltages are the same?

or should I just lower both motors voltage to the working motor’s HFI voltages and live with the hitch or cog in that one rotor position???

1 Like

Still useful for friends that never stood on a powered board tho!

1 Like

I’ve always just let them ride a CarbonGT with 800 cycles on the battery that kicks to ECO mode after 2 meters on a full charge

1 Like

That board sounds like a waste of space, also I dont carry a extra board with me for newbies to try :smiley:

4 Likes

This is what I meant.

HFI voltage should be the same for both motors, but it sounds like one of your motors might be a bit special. I really haven’t tried HFI on a huge range of motors and I don’t usually keep slightly broken motors around so it’s hard to know if that is the reason your motor is being funny. Sorry I am not more help!

3 Likes

I am getting this weird braking/HFI behavior on FW 5.02. I was previously on FW 4.00. I’m running HFI on a FSESC 4.20+ Dual with TB6355. Whenever braking, as soon as the tracking switches from sensorless to HFI there is a grinding sound and vibration throughout the board. The brakes are strong while decelerating until I get below the sensor less ERPM threshold and into HFI tracking then they suddenly become weak. The grinding only happens while HFI is on. The grinding increases intensity until the speed reaches around 1mph and then there is a jolt where the it goes away and braking gets super strong again.

Here is a video of me going down hill and slowing down at the same time.

You can hear clearly near the end of the video where the grinding goes away and suddenly breaking power returns.

Did you go through the whole setup process for HFI?

Yep, I used that exact video. My first time on FW 5.02 I just transferred the same HFI settings over from doing it the first time on FW 4.00 but just to be sure it wasn’t my old configs I reinstalled the FW and went through the whole HFI configuration again.

3 Likes

Adding this here as well.

1 Like

95% sure this is not FW related, this sounds like faulty hardware. I’ve had similar behavior with a damaged unity before.

3 Likes

Anyone running a unity with a VX1 on the newest version? Any issues?

I read about some issues previously. That may have been on the unity fw

Im having a similar issue with flip sky 4.20 plus… bkb 6354 motors… one of the motors is running 35 amps and the other around 50 amps on detection.

1 Like

Hey @Deodand if I wanna do motor detection on a motor that is larger than 2kg should I be doing it manually? Or just select the 2kg option and hope nothing breaks?

Mister Not-Expert here says he thinks it’s fine if the motor is bigger, just not smaller.

But disclaimer: I’m not responsible for broken motors or ESCs

1 Like

I only asked as the motor would be closer to 50kg than 2kg, mostly worried about esc

3 Likes

ohhh I know what motor that is :wink:

can’t wait to see that build

been following the thread

1 Like

I only just realised for shits and gigs vesc should technically be able to get some spin, even though my esk8 battery voltage is only 25% of what’s required. Onward, for science!

5 Likes

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the vesc powered Toyota Prius, coming to a dealership near you soon.

8 Likes

I hate listening to my own voice hahahah

12 Likes

Benjamin also has one in his garage. We just need to wait for the BIG VESC to arrive…

4 Likes