VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

I bang on a VESC sound logo…

This is 3500W low frequency injection.

13 Likes

You’d need to first mark up the sound by 33%. Does this land me in derail jail? :joy:

17 Likes

That’s what rc esc’s do for startup(Counting cells). Looking forward for that.

1 Like

It is a byproduct, basically a net zero force excitation is superimposed over the regular driving of the motor. This excitation is used to measure the inductance and infer rotor position at low speed.

There is a possibility that a poorly calibrated or not very salient motor could cog, luckily only at low speed in the sensored range but still be careful anytime you test a new setup. As is, my bench testing with a few setups looks fairly robust but more testing needed. I expect as time goes on and we get a wizard to properly assign values it should only get more reliable as well.

Ben has actually mentioned to me that as of testing right now two shunts is optimal for HFI (only because its used at very low speed and low modulation). The most important thing is having a uniform measurement so always the same two shunts are used for it at low speed. So two shunt designs will work as well for HFI (at the time of writing) as other designs but the other tradeoffs with regard to the rest of the control still exist.

Yes a big update to bring the Unity back up to date is coming and this is definitely a feature that will be included.

22 Likes

Thanks for the explanation Jeff!

1 Like

Just tested a little of the HFI mode on my new Flipsky 6354 motor and they work well :+1:

Didn’t notice any difference as compared to running on sensors :slightly_smiling_face:

TBH, I am very grateful for Benjamin and everyone who made the VESC project possible because if it wasn’t for their hardwork, esk8 ESC might not be as advance as today :smiley:

8 Likes

What did @SeanHacker said it was lucky Pierre or lucky John?

4 Likes

Solid burn. I’ll leave it up to OP if he wants to flag you. :grinning:

7 Likes

Elbow drop to the feels

8 Likes

this is awesome. @Trampa could you provide a list of what esc’s or esc hw types will function with hfi? bc i really want it with my og focboxs

2 Likes

It should work with those. Someone can quickly give it a try.

5 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

It’s not always about “cheap” or “easy to install”. :roll_eyes:

Devices for reading rotor position are prone to failing in my experience and in any case, it’s a lot more parts that can fail and a lot more ways that failure can happen. Failures on skateboards can be deadly serious, this isn’t like when you have a car and airbags around you.

4 Likes

What happens when you are rolling backwards a little bit and you engage the throttle?

6 Likes

This is, in fact, very very similar to what our commuter trains sound like.

3 Likes
4 Likes

The good old Siemens Taurus! :grin:
They specificly designed the sound for this.

3 Likes

So this is something else than what the unity already has? As I dont need sensored motors currently. (which works very good :+1: )

1 Like

I’m all for more refined control whilst having less points of failure.

2 Likes

The nice thing about HFI is that you can use it as a backup. If your sensors stop working you can pull out your smartphone and fix the issue with a few clicks.

10 Likes