VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

How do I donate directly to @Deodand ? :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Yeah, I was about to say the same as @tipsy did, right now you are being like the employee that sees a problem, but doesn’t actually do anything to fix it, they just point and shout at it.

I am all for catching issues when they are discovered, but where’s your solution? Why shout negative feedback without offering a solution? Your solution may be your own competing product, but without proof of it, the general feeling is that you’re just being a dick lol :man_shrugging:

I understand most of what you are saying and people can say what they want about Frank and the whole ordeal of VESC but they are doing good work here, and frankly (lol) any positive updates in the software are great news for the common end user that wants a reliable speed controller

13 Likes

I see what you did there :smirk:

8 Likes

How are the brakes?

4 Likes

As I said, working on getting the most accurate measurements as possible and keeping the firmware light and efficient so fewer things can break. Already made notes of future revisions so hardware circuitry can shut down the power stage in case of fault and cut software out of the picture during fault conditions. I hope to eventually fit it in 128kB of flash. This keeps costs down for the end user and helps keep software bugs from rearing their ugly head.

The current sensing stage is 25% of the BOM. I spent several days designing the 3.3V supply to minimize ADC noise.

15 Likes

@Deodand @Trampa is there a risk that motors lock up due to a faulty measurement when using HFI?
I also didn’t fully understand yet if the HFI is only active till a specific rpm like it is with sensors or it’s active all the time?

7 Likes

@Trampa @Deodand the question is inevitable, so I’ll be the monkey.

Can / will the Unity support HFI in future?

4 Likes

@malJohann I would expect a yes

1 Like

Hi Andy, HFI is only used to start up the motor. As soon as the rotor has some speed, BMFs are used to track the rotor (as usual). If you would get trouble, only at speeds below walking speed .You also hear the transition, The high frequency noise cuts out after transition.

@malJohann : Unity is a two battery side shunt design. Three shunts work best for HFI. Three phase shunts are king, three battery side shunts are also OK. @Deodand, correct me if I am wrong here. You designed the Unity.

@Gamer43: The VESC-Tool is OS and neither software, nor HW layouts are a fixed thing. VESC-Tool is not trying to compete, we try to build an awesome tool through collaboration. That is why I contacted Jeffrey and organized a meeting with Benjamin. If you are unhappy about things, github offers plenty of options to contribute. It can be code contribution or a qualified comment: https://github.com/vedderb/vesc_tool/issues

12 Likes

the never-ending story… i watched the movie… didn’t like it much…

but what I DO like is @Deodand and B. Vedder working together for the common good! If only @Trampa wasn’t the middle man…

9 Likes

Frank one more question, from Benjamin’s video I understood that the HFI is limited to around 40A as the stator saturates. Does this mean that I can max pull 40A motor side when starting off and after the vesc doesn’t deliver more power? I worry that that isn’t enough if you start up on a steep hill or when your wheels locked in a mud hole or any other bad place.

2 Likes

Depends on the motor. Bigger motor more Amps. It works pretty well. You can give it a try. Switching back to HALLs is only a click. Usually starting on a hill is more of a traction issue, not a power issue. Keeping traction requires throttle control anyway.

1 Like

What’s with tha initial sound?

That is the high frequency injection. The motor becomes a loudspeaker for a second.

5 Likes

Ahh… is the that beep sound a feature or a byproduct of HFI?

1 Like

FW 3.63 and 3.64 should not be used. The new Tool will shoot a warning! Especially in combo with metr there is a potential safety issue. 3.65 would be the way forward. You can download the FW here and install it via the custom FW upload tab. https://github.com/vedderb/vesc_tool/tree/master/res/firmwares

1 Like

Listen to trains. :wink:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/3872922_Improvement_of_low_speed_characteristics_of_railway_vehicle_by_sensorless_control_using_high_frequency_injection

5 Likes

It is called High Frequency Injection, a method to determine the stator position. Obviously a by product. On three motor side shunt designs Vedder managed to shift the noise into a region that is not hearable for humans. Jeff and Benjamin will keep working on HFI and the sound will change over time. Lets see if it can be completely eliminated one day.

10 Likes

Cool stuff.

1 Like

I would leave this as a cool sound for the community.

3 Likes