VESC slow throttle response?

Hi, I’m quite new to handling VESC and I come from an Exway. I just got most/everything working but on a bench test, it seems like the throttle response is very slow on the vesc. I think response is ok but the ramp up is very slow. I have tried messing with the ramp up setting and even put it to 0 but it still sees a bit slow compared to the exways or what I’m used to. Is this normal or is there a setting I must change? Thanks.

I’m running Radium 6455 motors with a MakerX DV6s, and Flipsky VX4 remote. The motors are running in FOC mode.

2 Likes

Increasing motor amps and throttle expo will give you more launch

I’ve got 80A per side going to my Radium 6455s.

2 Likes

Alright! Will try that. How’s 80A on those motors in terms of heat?
Also, could I ask what you have your ramp up time as? Thank you.

Heat wise mine are fine but theyre the front motors on a 4wd setup. So on 2wd they will definitely get hotter.
I’m running 20% throttle expo but again, on a 4wd board.

What remote are you using? I’ve found remotes with smaller throws “ramp” faster, and certain remotes have a higher built in default curve.

I was actually having a similar problem after switching to a different remove than the voyager. Upping the throttle curve helped a bunch. I run natural throttle type, but I think exponential will help as well

1 Like

Oh that makes sense. I use a Flipsky VX4 and I think the throw is pretty short. I’m not sure if it has an integrated curve but it’s easier to show by video.

Is that kmh? And how fast does it ramp up if you full throttle it from the start?

That is Km/h and I haven’t full sent it as the battery situation is a bit sketch atm. I will send it once the battery’s fully built and insulated

1 Like

Gotcha. Try upping the throttle curve to 20% as well. I think it’s in app > uart remote > throttle curve

Oh, and the reason I meantioned full throttling it, is because there’s a good chance it will ramp faster the more you push the throttle to its max.

I’m used to exways boards as well, but vesc remotes seem to act differently (i.e exway almost feels like you are controlling what speed to hit, while maintaining a constant acceleration/ramp. VESC feels like you are controlling the acceleration itself, until you hit desired speed).

You have your remote in low mode.
I would bump it to high then adjust from there after a loaded(riding) test.

1 Like

If you’re using the VX4 on UART I think the throttle curves are under the sub tab “vesc remote”. If you’re using PPM then it’s under PPM.

I found this quite confusing when I got a vx2 that uses UART. It seemed gutless off the line without setting exponential curve and then adding some curve in vesc tool.

I’m still not convinced the VX2 is letting me have as much off the line instant torque as the VX1 remote does with PPM.

Exway/ hobbywing/Lingyi ESCs throttles control speed, VESC remote controls current.

Its different but better

1 Like

Thansk everyone! I think it’s just the different control methods. I’ll have to ride it to see for sure. If I still think the response is slow or whatnot I’ll try it. Cheers!

Unloaded behavior on the bench is not loaded behavior on the street. Often when you ride it, perceived problems like this don’t actually exist.

1 Like

I have what I believe is a hobbywing esc.
It looks like one, is labeled Puaida.

On the bench, rolling the thumbwheel forward slowly, there are about 10 or 12 obvious speed levels.

However, when riding, and maintaining a speed about 3/4 of maximum on flat asphalt, I am using less than half the throttle.

I wont claim to know what is really going on with current vs speed control with this esc and remote or how it compares to exway.
My other esc, a 7s, which also looks like a hobbywing, but is labelled ‘aladdin’ is horrible, and surges and stutters, at any throttle level below full, on or off the bench.

If I can get my shit together, and refrain from turning my laptop into a frisbee, I might have a VX1 controlling a Vesc by the end of the day.
Seems unlikely though.

1 Like

One thing nobody mentioned yet is that there is a deadband adjustment on the vx4 and also in vesc. I run the vx4 deadband as low as it will go, and the vesc deadband at 5%. ( vesc default is 15%… ewww)

Your board will feel wayyy more responsive just by adjusting those parameters.

I would start with that and add +10% throttle expo. Should feel more lively and fun like that. Adjust throttle expo as needed from there.

2 Likes

Hey all. I’ve tried riding my board today and it seems to work pretty well! I did bump up the amps to 80 motor amps (forgot to set absolute current too, and for some reason it was set to 70A which almost killed me) but everything seems to be pretty good. I’ve set my remote deadband to 3% as setting it at 1% seemed to show the throttle always on, and I’ve set the vesc deadband to 6% as I felt that 5% is a bit twitchy. It seems to perform great! Thanks for your help again.

5 Likes

Lower the remote lag in the vx4 remote menu to something like 3%.

In vesctool on the canbus
side you have the remote plugged into
App CFG, ppm, mapping
set input deadband to 4%.

App CFG, ppm, throttle curve
set throttle expo to 8%-10%
set brake expo to 5%-8%
Save

2 Likes