Vesc low output power

Unfortunately even with very high peak power ratings, vescs and their derivatives end up being thermally limited just due to their physical size and mass compared to a lot of other larger ebike controllers and the like.

They handle quick bursts of power pretty well, but tend to overheat under heavy sustained loads.
Usually that’s not a big deal because esk8 is usually bursts of acceleration with (relatively) low power cruising in between, but a high speed scooter is just too much for such small controllers without some significant cooling added.

I still think that if your guess of 40kV is close, those motors are simply way too fast for that voltage and load. The unloaded speed for that kV and a 16s battery is something like 120+ kph, and lugging it down to like half that will absolutely ruin your efficiency. Even if you do end up getting the performance you want, I would expect those poor motors to burn up in fairly short order.

2 Likes

Thing is, my scooter is actually rated for 120km/h. Yes the efficiency is pretty terrible, and I don’t get much range at all. I was going to buy some thermally conductive pads to transfer heat to the case of the scooter, because at at the moment, overheating is the only limiting factor.

It sounds like it’s set up for too high a top speed. Solve that, and the rest of the issues may likely vanish.

3 Likes

use atleast 100 phase/motor amps, i run similar motors with 120A motor current (flipsky 75100 alu pcb) but the alu pcbs can take more current, and thats still weaker than the original YunLi controllers

just limit battery current to 45A

the 45A written on the controllers is just the battery side current, scooter controllers never say phase/motor current but at low speed these are probly at 150A at least.

I have a pair of 75200 Alu PCBs now which i will probably try soon if i stop being lazy and get to building a new battery lol

Hi. Did you figure it out? I had the same problem with my 75100, but then set my MAX motor current to 120A. I been riding my e-moped like this for a long time now with the stock china motor (1200w) and this is with a 48v battery