VESC FW 5.x - Beta Testers wanted [SERIOUS]

Not sure as I couldn’t find anything pertaining to push to start (maybe I didn’t look at the tool long enough) or if its even related to FW5, but on my Unity, after I turned it off, if I wheel the board on the drive wheels long enough it turns back on. However if I turn the remote on it doesn’t accept any input.

Very strange that a DRV error would throw during charging. Let me know if this occurs again.

4 Likes

@b264 You’ll want to set the HFI Start Voltage to as high as possible - In the Video, he mentioned that the higher you set it, the louder it will be.

4 Likes

beavis_and_butthead_headbanging

6 Likes

On my dual 6374 192kV SK3’s, 1:4 gearing and 165mm pneumatics, HFI works with 12V / 4V / 6V but has a little cogging twitch every now and again on the right motor.

Trying 20V / 4V / 10V tonight to see if it helps.

1 Like

Great!

For me, the default values made it much worse compared to unsensored FOC. Using Focbox on 4.2 with a beaten up bkb 6374.

I tried setting it up properly, but applying the brakes did nothing but a short impulse and the realtime plotting did not quite work either. Might be because I TCPd via Metr to the VESC. Not sure if this is a bug or if it’s intended to work only with USB.

Edit: So I’ll just have wait for it to be made more user friendly

Are you using the beta FW 5.00 ?

No, just standard 4.2

This thread is for FW 5.00 testing :wink:

4 Likes

Oops, well, I’ll just come back here once I am familiar enough with my new board to have the courage to run beta. Rock on!

2 Likes

Just to clarify: HFI should be part of the normal 4.2 FW, I just ended up in the wrong thread, right?

Exactly.
I didn’t want to be rude, sorry.
This is just confusing to have feedbacks not related to this FW 5.00 in these times of troublshooting.

Just set it up via USB with VESC Tool as Jeff does it in the video. I bet you’ll have much better results.

1 Like

Thank you! That makes sense, but I’ll leave that for the next time I open up my enclosure. It’s an operation.

I’d also say make sure to disable any app you have enabled, PPM app will override any command from the tool.

4 Likes

@PrivacyDoctor @b264 @Deodand the cogging effect on the above settings was worse than with 12V / 4V / 6V so I set it back.

I suspect the right motor might be on its way out or was damaged at some point. It detects as being 52A capable, where the other detects as 60A capable.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to do the motor configuration of the second (can) vesc of the unity. Strangly applying full break to it works.

Tried reinstalling fw, reconfiguring, …

Does anyone have any idea what I can try? I hope nothing got broken

2 Likes

I connect manually based on VESC ID seen during motor detection, mine are ID 108 and 109. For 108 I connect with the CAN button unselected (grey), and for 109 I connect with the CAN button selected (green).

You should also Read Motor every time before changing settings, then Write Motor before disconnecting.

1 Like

Where did you get UNITY FW5.0 bin file from?f