VESC FW 5.x - Beta Testers wanted [SERIOUS]

I assume you’re saying the motor detection settings and remote settings?

4 Likes

ok, i will give this a go, however last time i tried this upgrading from one of the beta versions to release it didn’t work.

I have been using it since a few versions ago and it has been working fine for me, I had also backup the settings from stable release and restore it on the beta 5.02 above and all seems to work well :+1:

1 Like

Ok so I just did the upgrade, backup and restore worked as expected :slight_smile:

@Deodand I’m now seeing the correct motor temp on the first half of the unity but seeing a wierd negative number on the second half.

Checked with metr to verify its not a visual bug in vesc tool.

Might well be a hardware problem so I plan to swap the sensor cables over and see if that changes anything.

5 Likes

Is there some noise on that reading? It does look like its floating around the level of a disconnected sensor. Major props for the quick feedback, thank you!

We added support a little late into the 5.00 beta cycle. Glad to hear it worked for you, it’s so much faster and more convenient.

3 Likes

About to throw this on my unity and give it a go around my normal route.

Leave any settings I don’t recognize from focbox UI alone or anything to pay attention to specifically?

2 Likes

Just use the wizards and let their powerful magic guide you. Also just drop any questions you have here :smile:

4 Likes

Vesc default bin or the one with no hw limits?

1 Like

@Deodand. on the unity, is it possible to use the internal serial on the bluetooth header for anything else?

Im guessing this is the same extra serial that broken out on the stormcore. is it currently possible to configure and use this serial? how is this handled in FW5 where the second esc acts as a separate CAN device?

It would be great if the internal serial (or stormcore second serial) was the serial port for the “other” vesc allowing both to be used.

I ask because i am looking for a way to have both a uart device and i2c device (mpu6050) connected to the unity at the same time. Is this in any way possible?

2 Likes

Battery capacity is total or per cell?

@deodand

The unity has an accelerometer onboard it just needs a driver written to interface with the existing stuff.

All the UART ports are usable. There are two internal on that rectangular header and one on the external 7 pin, but the firmware needs to be modified to enable the third one simultaneously.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: Im guessing that seeing as its been 2 years this is not high on anyone’s priority lists. @NuRxG did you know this? is it within your skill set? might be any easy way to make the balance app accessible to lots of people.

Is this difficult? i seem to remember @sofu did it at one point. It would be good if there was an easy way to enable and configure this without having to compile new firmware. Even if its just a command that could be entered into the Debug Console from vesc tool. how is it done on the stormcore? or is it just enabled by default?

5 Likes

Someone send me a unity :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

To be real tho, I won’t make any promises about delivering features outside of my day job. If it is the same IMU as the stormcore, it’ll probably work itself out :wink:. If not, what unit is it? Maybe i can get a breakout board. However considering the UNITY is no longer for sale, and most balance builders are running a single VESC setup, and with a dual setup you’d have 2 comm ports for a 5$ external unit I’m not sure how much effort its worth. 6 months or a year ago, id be more excited, but now i have a desk covered in Cheaps FOCers V2ses and stormcores are coming out soon with 20s.

I have other ideas in mind about what i want to do for the VESC project, so I’m not exactly looking for a todo list.

13 Likes

looks like its the LSM6DS3.

but imagine all those raptor and short board owners that could be wheelieing around.

nah i get it. it could be a lot of work to take on for old hardware. definitely above my current skillset.

Excited to see what your cooking up tho :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The accel is the same as on stormcore. The balance app is fairly new so I haven’t had much reason to write the driver until recently. I do think its a project that should take an experienced person maybe 1 day. I might tackle it on a Sunday sometime but I have a lot of little projects like this and not always as much time as I want.

5 Likes

Nice, i ordered 2 break out boards as well. Wasn’t gonna say anything tho, i have a phobia of datasheets.

2 Likes

Bump

Sorry missed that, it is total. It also derates according to voltage cutoffs so just give the listed spec, ie 3Ah cell at 6p should be input as 18Ah.

5 Likes

@Deodand @NuRxG your both awesome. If either of you get anywhere with this then I have a Unity build which I can help test with the balance app on.

9 Likes