VESC FW 5.x - Beta Testers wanted [SERIOUS]

No worries. Maybe it was a mistake on my end.

@Deodand: Do you have any Idea if it’s possible to repair the Unity with a focbox using swd tab? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFFiVxFHDM4)

If yes, what do I need to connect it to?

1 Like

Atleast SWCLK, SWDIO, GND maybe 3.3V unless it already powered.

1 Like

Oh the GND, CLK and IO pins are underneath the enclosures.
For unity:
For focbox:

Reflashing Unity worked like a charm. I’m back on fw23.46 now

6 Likes

When I try to install fw5.0 I get the following message just before finishing installing:

2020-04-01 16:30:45: Status: Serial port error: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

I have to restart the Unity to connect it with vesc tool again and I see that no fw update occurred

1 Like

Oh, I made a really dumb mistake that caused motor 2 to be undriven, forgot a plural in a #define :sweat:

I’ll do a pull request for the fix shortly, patching out as many small bugs as possible first.

9 Likes

Some blessed soul made a decent tutorial here:

5 Likes

Managed to fix it! Thanks

Any Idea why I get the following errer when I try to update to fw5.0?

Status: Serial port error: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

2 Likes

Have you power cycled the ESC since uploading FW? Are you running VESC Tool as administrator?

Yes to both. Just for testing purposes I tried to reinstall fw23.46 (same as is already on there) and I also get an error. So my problem is most likely not fw5.0 related :pensive:

That is strange, haven’t experienced it before. Maybe try installing this driver:

With some USB switching I finally manged to install fw5.0. And everything is working!!! Finally.
Thanks everyone for the help!

5 Likes

@Deodand can you talk to these limits as it relates to the Unity? What’s the max it’ll take for each? Does it matter, thinking of built-in protection circuits here?

1 Like

You need to set these limits in relation to what your battery can handle rather than the unity. Battery amps Max are the maximum limits that will be drawn from the battery. The motor currents are where the vesc converts higher voltage to lower voltage + higher amps at low speeds. Basically if you are going slower your vesc can push more amps to the motors for more torque whilst still adhering to the limitations set for the battery :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All hardware has limits, my battery can supply 390A constant, I’m merely asking how much of that can the Unity handle with the different parameters.

4 Likes

Just curious why there are multiple versions of different firmware with the same version number?

isn’t point of having a version number to stop this sort of confusion?

3 Likes

Because builds aren’t fully automated, and manually incrementing all the numbers nightly is a PITA and would cause large jumps in numbering schemes. The numbers also have to match between the tool and the firmware, and the tool needs a new config definition for each version it supports.

There are ways to make it all better, and its open source, so have at it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This is a fair point, unfortunately i dont have the know how to fix this and i appreciate that it would take time.

But these updates are patch / bug fix’s. They shouldn’t break anything in the tool so cant the tool just ignore the last digit?

It becomes much easier when you get bug reports like this :

6 Likes

Im aware of major/minor/patch it is a great scheme, you should implement it for the vesc tool.

Just make sure it also works for nightly builds while maintaining a stable channel.

6 Likes

Wish i had the experience for this.

2 Likes

Wanted to say, with 17 years app and database dev experience, versioning is a piece of cake. No reason why it couldn’t be implemented, and the tool to ignore the patch number.

2 Likes