VESC-EXPRESS, Logging, GPS and WiFi

Tomorrow it should be

3 Likes

Very cool - does this include the IOS app?

3 Likes

Jeffrey will compile for Apple. I will ask for the time line for that specific release.
The VESC-Tool 6 release for Android, Linux and Windows is expected today. I guess Apple will follow shortly after. We will generate an additional post today, focusing on VESC-Tool 6

4 Likes

I guess that the Express environment will very soon be used by all sorts of apps. Since it is an open platform, data can be used by any app that is capable of reading the data.

But let’s also see what VESC-Tool will look like next year…

5 Likes

Reminds me of another open platform…

Will you be sending holiday cards to people who use the words “Vesc express” on their website/ products?

3 Likes

Gotta know if another version with a SIM card is planned at all.

Seems like one of the only hardware differences from this to Robogotchi & GPS Modules

The VESC Express is a Wifi device, not Bluetooth. It can either be a WiFi hotspot or connect to your WiFi network. WiFi is a lot faster compared to Bluetooth. The VESC Express is also a USB to CAN converter.

Firmware updates via WiFi take a couple of seconds, via Bluetooth it takes minutes. Sames goes for retrieving log files. A 20MB log just flies to your harddrive with the use of WiFi.

5G connectivity via CAN is something we are looking into.

2 Likes

@Trampa I’m curious to know what you really mean by “environment” and “open platform.” None of that is mentioned in the product description. What would be great is for people to be able to build apps that can pull VESC data in real-time or from the logs.

2 Likes

that’s literally what it does :sob:

hey guys, friendly reminder, VESC and VESC express is the product of amazing hard work, I think few bashing in this thread are willing to think about.

Please all of you including @xsynaptic let us know what hardware and software you’ve contributed to the planet.

I haven’t except a few art pieces here and there and a few books.

2 Likes

Sure that may be the intention but what’s the actual interface (e.g API) for such apps to do that?

I understand where you’re coming from but such contributions are irrelevant. This is a thread advertising a commercial product. Questions from potential customers should be expected, welcomed, and answered. I suspect all the people asking questions or adding commentary appreciate the efforts of Vedder and the other contributors but they can still ask questions like any customer.

I worked in the open source space for a long time and believe that we shouldn’t confuse the open source projects, which indeed do often include selfless contributions, with commercial ventures on the backs of those projects (which of course they are entitled to undertake subject to the terms of the license).

4 Likes

If you have the coding skills you can code an app that interfaces with the VESC-Express and retrieves logs and displays them. This is not a module that is designed to only work in conjunction with a special app and vice versa. There are already apps that interface with the VESC controllers and let you see RT data and change settings etc. This approach is also possible with the VESC Express.
However, if you integrate code from Vedder into a third party app there are issues with Apple. Apple doesn’t allow GPL software in their store since the terms are clashing. So for that platform you have to create your own code from scratch. However, such custom Apps can still interact with the VESC Express.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m a software developer by profession so I should have the skills but is there any API or other doc anywhere on this?

Aren’t all the apps that get RT data interfacing to their own hardware (which interfaces to a VESC-based ESC) like Metr, iLogger, etc.?

In theory there should be some kind of API so that one definitely does not need to be including any of the GPL-licensed VESC code.

3 Likes

To be honest , I need to talk to Vedder to see how we can document things in the code base.
The Express is very new and I’m not the expert on the code side. Vedder is very open and will answer all questions on the VESC development Discord server.

5 Likes

Thanks. I’m on the Discord and can ask there but it would be good to see the answers here too.

2 Likes

No, u don’t go that far. I’m willing to go to war if u insult my ice cream boy like that.

I see u having 0 contribution to this forum besides sucking on frank’s dick to boost his ego, and maybe getting nail to two pieces of plank

Flag me for derail all u want, that just prove my point even more

5 Likes

Benjamin has published the source code, let’s see how long it takes others to release their own hardware.

4 Likes

This is interesting. Price isn’t bad either.

Im not clear on the logging UI. Is it the log analysis feature that’s already included in the PC version of VESC tool or is it a separate app?

Maybe Im not using it right but Ive found the log analysis feature that’s been in VESC tool works ok and will show everything thats needed but it’s not very user-friendly.

1 Like

I would like to know that too. Can someone answer. I have a special case where I can’t use UART fro a Bluetooth module, so that would be ideal. Metr Pro is out of stock and the company seems to be done. The I logger is only for logging any you cant change the vesc settings. Is there an other option to connect to vesc on the fly with you phone. I know I can get another PPM remote and just use a cheep bluetooth module, but I like my the remote I have and another remote + bt module is around 50 bucks anyway.

Seems there is little interest in this for some reason which I can only assume is due to the lack of a dedicated app from which to view the data.
Also, it seems like there is alot of controversy concerning open source. Something Im going to steer clear of but I wonder if this could be a reason for what appears to be a lack of interest.
Kinda sucks because the ESP32 C3 is a microcontroller which has a ton of potential.

1 Like

the lack of any user friendly interface, and the fact that you vesc express may or may not work and the lack of customer support or trouble shooting.
maybe if they tested it for another six months, made it a dedicated product and not diy fuckery it would have taken off better

1 Like