VESC Cutting out on Hills

Hi Guys, I’ve just completed a new build and for the most part it’s working great. However under harsh acceleration or on moderately steep hills the VESCs are cutting out. This sudden cutout after acceleration is quite unpredictable and really throws me off. I was expecting to have more torque than I’d like to handle on this build but it seems rather lacking.

Some specs:

Flipsky 6355 190kv motors
Dual Focbox’s
10S4P Samsung 30Q pack (bypassing BMS straight to VESCs)
Drivetrain 16 - 36 pulleys to 97mm wheels
Fat Rider ~ 100kg

As each 30Q in series is rated for a discharge of 20A that gave me 80A total or 40A per VESC.

Now I’m wondering

1: Can I increase the max battery value knowing that this is for short bursts only with minimal risk of damaging the batteries?

2: Can I set some kind of cap so it stays at a consistent 40A instead of trying for more and then cutting out or at least set some kind of soft cutout?

3: Could something else be causing the cutout eg temperature?

1 Like

It would be hard to find the issue without telemetry logs…

2 Likes

Get some telemetry and find the reason why there is a cut off.
What’s your battery voltage cut off setting?

Edit: just for your understanding, your esc definitely doesn’t cut off because of too low current settings. If, than it’s the other way around that your settings are too high.

2 Likes

Might not be enough reduction. Having had a similar setup you want 15/40 pulleys for 97mm…Your issue might be unrelated though. What are your settings?

1 Like

Thanks guys, didn’t realize I could get a telemetry log to identify the fault.

I have a bluetooth module and notice I can save a log as a csv file via the android app. Would the best way to get this data to you be to start a log, recreate the problem and then share that file here?

1 Like

Yes, VESC has native telemetry, you can open that CSV file in desktop vesctool.
It’s a little janky compared to metr, but will do the job.

2 Likes

Great, will go for a ride tomorrow morning and grab some logs

Definitely sounds like your vesc is throwing an over-current fault. The acceleration just abruptly cuts out for half a second and comes back ? And it does it when you full throttle with a full batt and cool motor ? It doesn’t ever do it when the motor has some heat in it ?

1 Like

Show us your current settings in the vesc tool

I think so too, cuts off and then comes back a second or so later.

Battery fully charged and everything cool. After riding the board for an hour or so the motors feel slightly warm.

Motor Max Amps: 40
Battery Max Amps: 40
Motor Max Brake -30A
Batt Max Brake - 12A
Voltage Cut Start: 34V
Voltage Cut End: 31V

Are there any other settings you want to see?

This one, what is it set to on your VESCs

4 Likes

40A per VESC

Looking a bit more into these values that sounds low to me.

Motor is rated for 65A and motor max so would I set this for absolute current as the Battery Current Max protects the battery?

1 Like

The value I showed you is part of the vesc tool as a safety measure, and doesn’t impact how 95% of riders ride (when the value is at its default, it would only impact you if you’re pulling over 150a per vesc… Clearly an unsafe number on 4.xx hw. )

Change it back to it’s default and you’ll be all set

3 Likes

Default is 130A

Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Figured out how to get TCP working too. These are the settings I’ll test tomorrow

1 Like

Your motor max setting is fairly conservative, if you think you’d like more torque I’d bump it up in increments of 10. Same for your motor min, if you feel like you need more brakes just bump the number up (down) in increments of 5 :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, for some reason I had it in my head that the motors were rated to 40A. Another check showed they can do 65A so I’ll definitely be bumping that one up

Tcp only need to be on the same network to work.
Absolute max current, the general advice for this forum is to have it as high as it lets you set it, but default is fine as well.
This value MUST be higher than the rest because in sudden changes in current, speed, throttle input, etc., Spikes occur. It only takes a few ms for vesc to adjust and no damage is done, but the value is measured and if it’s above the absolute max, a fault code is thrown (abs overcurrent) and the vesc cuts off

2 Likes

I wouldn’t take them too high, flipsky definitely overrate their motors.

Unless you’re riding like a beast you’ll rarely reach your motor max if it’s set crazy high. You change how much power your board consumes through how you ride, not only through the vesc settings.

E: I can’t think of a better way to word this, am lazy. Sorry.

3 Likes

I suspect that definitely was causing your issue. The vesc and battery can handle much much higher short burst current than it’s constant rating, that is what the setting is for. it calcutes the default based on your battery info so leave it as is. You basically set it so your motor eats all of the current cap by itself and throws a over current whenever it hits max current draw. You can also go into the settings and change the over current cutoff time ( the time the motor stops before coming back on ) to something less jarring like .100 (1/10 of a second) so you notice it but it doesn’t throw you so much off balance. Also make sure " Slow ABS current limit " is set to true.

1 Like