Vesc, Can Bus, Battery Amps . X2 or x.5 for actual battery amps. Pics inside

I feel like a dumbass
I’ve been using unity for so long, I don’t remember. I just set 60 battery amps and its doing all the calculations etc.

If i set vesctool to 30 amps, Does it write 30 battery amps to each vesc over canbus, thus taxing the battery with a max of 60 amps?

Has this always been the case,

Also in layman’s terms. What is duty cycle - VESC. What does it mean, what can i learn from it, and yes I googled. :slight_smile:

@KfromtheBay shot me this url

I’ve read it, on many occasions. Should i even pay attention to duty cycle.? What is there to learn from it etc.

1 Like

And is it the same way using a unity with the vesc tool?

I’ve never ever programmed any amp/ motor/ battery settings with the unity vesc tool. I’m obsessed with the simple android unity app
But this question is related to single vescs, with canbus usb cloning of settings, and up to date vescs (trampa 6.6).

For a friend,

Here is what a unity would look like… I’m going to say I’m 99 percent certain it will “split” the battery amps to each “side” of the unity to 15 battery amps each side

I run 80 to 90 battery amps with my boards… But all my boards have unity’s.

1 Like

I do know that focbox does it different from unity. I just can’t remember which one did it which way either lol.

I know when I set my motor amps to 40a on dual focbox over can, it feels like an 80a launch compared to a 40a launch.

2 Likes

@kevingraehl if your battery can do 100a and you have 2 motors/vesc, you want the battery current limit on each vesc to be 50a

EDIT:
@rafaelinmissouri Unity app is TOTAL… Vesc tool is per vesc

@Deodand could you help us out here?

When setting battery amps using the vesc tool.

2x Focboxes. You set to 40
Does the battery see 40 or 80?

1x unity. You set to 40.
Does the battery see 40 or 80?

Much appreciated

1 Like

Yes.

Yes

2 Likes

I almost feel like pulling out 2 clamp dc shunt meters and making a video “for the community” Cause i know a year ago when i started all this esk8 shit, and was messing around with canbus/ OG focboxs, shit was confusing… and pressing the ? Help button on vesc tool didn’t help much.

I have the equipment, but do i have the time. Plus i need to go get more beer,

The Unity using the vesc tool is identified as 2 vescs over can.
So it is 40A per vesc = 80A

6 Likes

Appreciate it dude.

1 Like

So with trampas preset its 198A for the battery. :crazy_face:

1 Like

only if your motors are detected as 99A :wink: