VESC 6 EDU, the new little brother of the VESC 6

That kinda scares the shit out of me.
Does it mean SHFI does track the motor position at any time? If so it means, if something goes wrong it will just stop the motor at x-speed :flushed: oioioi
With hall sensors or encoder the tracking stops as soon as you roll (don’t remember the exact rpm, but it’s usually not more than 5km/h) so in that case if something goes wrong, you as minimum doesn’t drive fast and can probably manage the sudden stop.

2 Likes

You would still only use it at a certain RPM range, similar to sensors. Then you switch over to BackEMFs.
But in position control mode you can track the rotor even at full RPM. Nice for robots or super fast 3D printers etc.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t say 125£ already falls in the not affordable range. Not super cheap, but less than a full tank of most of our cars right now.

9 Likes

Good to know. That sounds way better :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

but… you can get a makerx mini foc wich is vesc6 based,is able to 12s 80a for 140usd, which is 113gbp…
Not even mentioning BLheli compatible hardware…

6 Likes

Oh cool to see another iteration of assssssss.
More important question is:

1 Like

That unit won’t support sHFI, sensorless position control and high ERPMs. You would also need to solder up an extra capacitor bank. The ceramics on there are not really enough.

that’s blheli compatible???

good thing! god forbid students source cheaper encoders and hall sensors to detect motor position

1 Like

What’s needed for it.

Full phase filtering, 3 phase shunts and a good PCB layout.

I don’t wanna say it’s the best price trampa can offer, but we should also factor in that trampa is not a one man company in china reselling directly from the factory out of a one room apartment. They have a warehouse in the UK with employees and bills to pay for electricity, probably bigger tax and what not ever.
That all need to be calculated in the final price to be profitable.

9 Likes

On top of that lots of R&D cost… Things like the EDU need to be developed, FW needs to be coded and VESC-Tool can also only see that much attention if someone like Vedder has a proper income.
So pricing things in a way that strikes a good balance in between the consumers need for affordable products and still being able to push things forward is quite important. Now users can drop code on the VESC unit itself and don’t necessarily need an external controller. Saves money again…

3 Likes

I’m not complaining or anything, once again I think it’s an amazing idea.
I’m not the one who came saying “hey I’m making super cheap hardware for students” though

As someone in this hobby for years and with a good job I don’t think 150usd is a monstruous price to pay for some good quality electronics.
As a student though I would never have spent that much money for one of my sketchy projects.

3 Likes

what constitutes as “good”

Accurate measurements of all relevant values, low noise etc.

My friends were trying to spin up an inertia disc with some vesc 75/300. They were excited about the new “HFI modes” that you mentioned in this post, but they ran into some issues. Sometimes the motor would shudder and not spin. They were happy with the results when the motors did spin successfully; it took 11s for it to reach target speed.

For fun, I told them to try an industrial VFD, and the VFD only needed 8.5s to hit target speed.

Buying multiple VFDs is out of their budget.

2 Likes

Probably a matter of tuning… Vedder shows a few things in his videos.

gesc when?

1 Like

They watched his videos and spent several hours tuning the settings. They got to a point where they couldnt seem to improve performance any further.

They were happy the resource exists.