Verifying ESC Performance [Serious]

Are you trying to say that cooling a VESC with plastic body through the Silica fins is going to fry or short it? Because I’d call bullshit, respectfully. :grin:

Edit : Hey, watch this.

http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=622&p=3778&hilit=heat+pipe#p3773

See the worst possible example working better than what could have been the best (your case) :

Ask both that Peter guy on thingiverse and this guy about their VESC frying man.

@ducktaperules Sorry I’m a bit passionate about this silly subject. Off topic mode turned off.

2 Likes

r/TechSupportMacGyver Esk8 edition.

1 Like

It is already. Like everyboddy, I/we can make a GB, and like for motors of other gear or stuff, we need to be at least 10 people or more (maybe less, personnaly I will take 4 if we make it happened !), with 20/pcs produce on CNC from copper 101, we can be at around 17.5€/pcs, so if we are 30 or 50 ! It will be even less!!

2 Likes

c6364 133kV with hall sensors on 12s 100A motor max / 100A battery max VESC upgraded with heatsink and better caps… 1:6 ratio on 8" = +/-40kmh

What else !?
2 Likes

Do that on both sides, because you are talking about our cases to do same thing.

You can only do that on one side because top side all mosfet’s drains are connected to positive terminal. Bottom side is phases aka motor wires. So if you do same thing in our case u will shorten everything. Also even if u do on single side ur whole case will be positive terminal :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Well I understand that. However actually, it is your case so it is your job to design it in a proper way so you don’t short the whole case. Like, there are thermal pads and non electrically conductive thermal pastes readily available.

See deeper than my rant : you already have everything required to make your stuff great. We can at least agree on that ? You just need to be willing.

1 Like

Well doesn’t matter anymore as we don’t make 4.12 cases also u want bit too much for 25€

True, in that case it doesn’t matter anymore. I’ll keep the off topic off then :v:

So I have been thinking about how you actually stress test an ESC.

You would need a large enough motor that it will never over heat or saturate whilst testing the ESC. You want the ESC to reach its thermal limits long before the motor so you know this is not affecting test data.

I’m order to load the motor Im thinking you would want it connected directly to another motor, controlled by another vesc. . . . Possiblity with a load cell between them. The other vesc would need to be larger and better cooled than the vesc your testing so as to not affect results.

By getting the large vesc to run at a constant rpm you can apply different currents in the test vesc and see how much torque or breaking it is able to produce. If you wanted to test motors this can be repeated at different rpm’s.

For thermal testing you could get the test vesc to run at full speed then use the large vesc to increase the load using regen. With each step you would allow the temp to stabilise and record it before moving on to the next level of loading.

Any thoughts?

3 Likes