Vendors that are accepting crypto?

Buddy, you’re getting your costume wings from the wrong place.

1 Like

If they fly me to the land of net positive gas fees I’ll have whatever you’re smokin darlin.

This is one of those ‘in theory it would be nice but also here’s the reality’ situations. It’ll be a proper minute before crypto processing fees catch up to Visa or MasterCard, and then perhaps this discussion becomes tangible. Right now it’s about 80x more expensive to send $10 via Ethereum network than it is through a card processing fee.

A better way to frame OP’s question is:

Esk8 customers: are you willing to use a high value variance currency for a surcharge of $8-25 per transaction with zero purchasing protection?

5 Likes

It’d be better to waive the purchase protection fees and charge any other payment fees on top of it. That way everyone doesn’t need to pay the fees that you incur because of your payment choice.

If you pay me {AMOUNT} and it costs 3% more for purchase protection, then pay 3% more
If you pay me {AMOUNT} and it costs no more, then pay no more
If you pay me {AMOUNT} and it costs 23% more for payment fees, then pay 23% more

It just makes sense, buddy

2 Likes

Paypal for example doesn’t allow stores to offer “discount” on other payment methods with fewer fees, like crypto, cards whatever.

Probably the same with a lot of other payment processors, so stores have to choose, easy methods to pay vs 3% cheaper for customers

1 Like

I’ve just payed @mackann >400$ with 0.26$ in transaction fee. I am sorry but ethereum is not the only blockchain. There are others with considerable lower fees. Including a feeless one.

I am sure 0.26$ is not 80x of what VISA or MC charge.

3 Likes

It’s here(Freebies [Offers only] - #8 by glyphiks)

2 Likes

Sorry for interrupting the crypto nerd party :woozy_face:

7 Likes

Currently we don’t, potentially in the future we might.

3 Likes

DoIt

1 Like

Using Nano? I’m not trying to discount the potential, but let’s look at the current reality & standing:

Nano Price $5.43
Trading Volume24h $16,405,428.02 17.90%
Volume / Market Cap 0.02266
Market Dominance 0.03%
Market Rank #112

^ this is exactly what I mean. #112/0.03% in market isn’t at all a mainstream, accessible option just by the number of users alone. At this point in time, yes, you had an option with an altcoin. But that doesnt mean it’s mass adopted and a commonly used/accessible option.

The reason I reference ETH is because it’s one of the mainstay currencies on the market and provides a solid point of reference.

We’re not quite there yet, realistically. I say this as someone who has worked professionally on Blockchain technology development. It’s going to continue to be a niche payment alternative that levies cost to the consumer for another 3-5 years, as fees on T1 networks eventually drop and more competitive options rise to the top.

In regards to @DRI I can’t see us offering anything that isn’t ecologically & financially viable. Let’s see how the ETH2.0 transition to PoS settles.

4 Likes

For a business its nice to be protected from chargebacks. I have one customer made a chargeback for 5000USD and I keep see he ride the board on his instagram…

But even if the customer cant do chargeback with crypto they still hav customer rights so if you dont plan to shutdown their is not that mutch different for the customer.

But it cost to sell with crypto to. First cryptogateway take a cut, then transfer to a market and then sell it and then transfer to paypal and later to bankacount. Every step have some fees. So that the price should be lower when paying with crypto i don´t understand why.
We support: Bitcoin, Etherium, Bitcoin Cash and Dogecoin

@Lee_Wright If you use shopify I could help you set it up, it was realy easy!

10 Likes

No I wasn’t using NANO, if i were to, I would pay exactly 0.00$ in fees. Because as I said NANO is feeless and instant.

I was using BCH.

@mackann please consider accepting NANO, you get less of a cut from provider, its feeless for a customer and instant.

https://nano.org/en/accept-nano

3 Likes

Hopefully it will be delayed again. My miners like Eth 1 :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Gotcha.

The level of value variance on BCH in the last year alone still supports the point I’m making here.

I say this as someone who personally is a supporter and huge proponent of decentralized digital currencies: it’s still very new. Value still fluctuates and is intrinsically tied to 2-3 primary crypto markets.

To think that we’re at the point where discounts would be applied to purchases with the use of crypto is naive of the current market state.

4 Likes

We don’t use shopify but we do have one of the crypto payment gateways we could use but like @DerelictRobot said its just not viable yet (at least for us) we considered it in the past but quickly discounted it even though myself and @ducktaperules are into crypto ourselves! I can see the appeal and it’s something we will look at in the future but for now it’s not quite there yet.

8 Likes

Exactly this.

1 Like

This is disgusting BTW, how can anyone do that?

7 Likes

I do agree with you. Me personally would be totally ok if the vendors would charge a few % more for crypto option. I do understand the trouble of selling crypto if a vendor does need FIAT for the business.

But in the future I hope that for vendors it would be possible to pay for materials needed to produce stuff with crypto as well. Then everyone would accept crypto knowing that FIAT is not needed at all.

2 Likes

This is key.

If we eventually reach a point where I could get paid for product in crypto then use that to pay bills without all the conversion fees I could see this being viable.

The problem right now is that our machine shop don’t take crypto. our accountant don’t take crypto. HMRC won’t let us pay our tax in crypto. Shipping company won’t ship parts for crypto. If we get premises our landlord won’t let us pay in crypto.

I’m sure that one day things will be different but for now holding crypto is not that useful for a buisness.

6 Likes

On the other hand. If a business can hold crypto and remain operational without converting it to Fiat. It can be a good investment in future. Of course there is a risk as well.

1 Like