uSplit - UART Splitter for VESC-based ESCs

@BillGordon Biiiiiiiiill

1 Like

I PM’ed @tkclark so we’re all good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want one as well!

1 Like

PM’d :slight_smile:

What does this mean for the v1.1 HW boards? They work just fine, but?

Also, I had a problem where the uSplit would stop communicating after a few minutes, I updated to the latest FW and it seems to be fixed, can you confirm that this was an issue of a previous FW version?

After finding that the series resistors caused the communication to fail (first test) I built the rest of the v1.1 uSplits with 0 ohm jumpers in place of the 1k resistor. That eliminates the effect of the series resistor and makes the communication lines identical to v1.0 HW.

The “but” in your question would be that v1.1 and v1.2 still have the same vulnerability as v1.0 when it comes to a connected device powering the system even though the ESC is “off”. This is an extremely rare case since no add-on devices are designed to do that.

Sorry, without knowing which devices you have connected and if you use 1 or 2 ESCs, Im not really able to make a guess as to what issue was actually occurring. But I can say that the v0.7 FW fixed a few different bugs that would cause the uSplit to lock-up in special scenarios.

1 Like

Well, thanks for your reply! I had a FireFly Nano connected to the uSplit, single FOCBOX, it uses a library by basti30 (github) based on RollinGecko’s.

Btw, I actually killed a FOCBOX once by powering an external device still connected to the FOCBOX.

1 Like

IMO. No remote should ever be plugged in the usplit. Peripherals, yes. Remote, big fat no.

5 Likes

Naa I made it UART + PPM.

I want those stats.

1 Like

Damn, that sucks. That is exactly the scenario I was hoping to protect against, but because the VESC FW configures the TX/RX pins to be pulled high with an internal pull-up, the series resistors cause the uSplit’s UART communication to get muffled.

@pookybear, just to clarify, you are referring to remotes that operate in “UART Only” mode, not those that operate with “UART + PPM” to gather data from the ESC correct?

3 Likes

Yes, UART only.

3 Likes

Ok great, I completely agree. I just wanted to get your reasoning why if you were talking about UART+PPM too

2 Likes

@Ricco I am going to try ADC + UART, so could you tell me whether the ADC1 pin is passed through between all ports on the uSplit?

1 Like

Yup, all signals other than RX and TX (3v35, 5v, GND, ADC1, ADC2) are passed through to the rest of the connectors. You just have to be cautious and make sure that 2 devices are not both influencing the ADC signal.

1 Like

Finally got my hands on uSplit. Unfortunately both of them seem not to be recognised by BOSSA (neither on Windows nor Mac). Is usb cable enough to power on?

1 Like

Pmed, This project looks like Exactly what i need to connect everything inside for maximum Telematry and control

Did you hold the button while plugging it in?

Nope, I also had the same struggle with this but you need it to be powered by the vesc, so it’s with a battery.

Also please make the metr better compatible with the usplit so it won’t crash for me anymore ^^…
The discharge function doesn’t work with it, it starts for a few seconds but then it stops, perhaps it’s because the package times out over time.

Of course I will try to fix if I find any problem :slight_smile:

Now I understand, because (3.) says power it on, it means USB cable (2.) not enough for power. Didn’t read it very careful the first time, thanks!

Edit: I managed to update uSplit FW to 0.7

@Ricco I would like to purchase a 2 way splitter if you have some in stock. Thank you :call_me_hand:

2 Likes