uSplit - UART Splitter for VESC-based ESCs

Thanks for the reply exactly what I needed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I made a video explaining how I build uSplits when restocking. Check it out if you are interested :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That’s not recommended for good reason I am sure but there is one use case where this might be more ok, also where there is only ever a single ESC/uart port. Vesc self balancing devices, now with the remote tilt feature available you might have to give up good Bluetooth in exchange. Perhaps usplit is reliable enough to use uart remotes when there is the fail safe of the self balance for control. Sure yes PWM input seems like the obvious answer to that dilemma, I’m curious about this is all.

1 Like

Ya its not recommended to run throttle over UART through the uSplit due to the fact that there is no way for me to guarantee that the uSplit will never freeze up and stop communicating. There are just so many possible hardware combinations and scenarios that I am not able to predict or test them all on my bench. With that said, I have tested the uSplit with both the VX2 and BKB voyager remotes in UART mode and have not had any issues with the latest firmware. So, if the remote is strictly being used as a backup option to the main throttle input (tilt in the case you presented) and the builder deems the risk of communication failure acceptable, then they could certainly make the choice to run their backup throttle through the uSplit.

2 Likes

I’m having the same problems with my recently purchased uSplit as a few others have mentioned late in this thread. I bought it to try and use my VX4s telemetry display (running it in PPM/UART mode and my Davega at the same time. The board is equipped with a Unity and it seemed like it was going to be a plug and play situation at first. Both displays were reading properly on the bench, so I buttoned everything up and went for a ride. About .5 miles in, the display on the VX4 and the Davega both froze at the same point. Powering down both seems to reset everything, but after a short while both displays freeze again. I’m the most basic level of computer user, but I thought I’d be able to manage a firmware reload to see if that would fix things, however, I can’t get BOSSA to open on my MacBook, so I’m stuck unfortunately. Might have to see if a more computer savvy, PC owning buddy can help…

1 Like

If you are running a Unity you can use the third uart on the esc instead of the usplit

There is a 5.03 firmware available on the post below, and as of 6.00 it’s part of the official firmware

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting your issues. I’m sorry you have run into the same VX4 problems that have been reported here a few other times. I will try to get this resolved for you. To help me root cause the issue, can you answer the following questions?

• What is the DAVega X FW version used?
  • Are the DAVEga and VX4 the only devices you have plugged into the uSplit?
  • What FW version is running on the Unity?
  • Does the uSplit freeze only when riding, or does it also freeze when the board is sitting stationary for a while?

Because you have mentioned that you are using a Unity, I now realize that is a variable I had not considered when looking into issues in the past. Since the unity has its own implementation of the VESC FW, there may be an issue in that FW that I do not come across on my other VESC based ESCs. I may need to finally get one for testing.

@Hoddz, @me_ashman, since you both had issues with the VX4 working with the uSplit before, can you tell me what ESC you were/are using?

1 Like

Check your wiring, @Hoddz figured out you need to have the Rx and TX in the same configuration for both the receiver and the davega. Although the usplit does say it auto negotiates the transmit and receive with these two must somehow conflict with each other if they aren’t matched up.

I am using flipsky 6.7 mini, @hoddz is using maker x dv6.

I’m also using another with a xenith running 5.3 is running flawlessly.

Thanks for replying. In fact, thanks to all who replied.
My Davega is on the latest firmware which is 4.09rc6 and my Unity is on 5.2 still. The VX4 receiver and Davega are the only things connected. The Davega (and VX4) loose connection with the Unity even if I power them up and let them sit. Seems to happen within 5 minutes or less, but I haven’t timed it to see. I’ve tried multiple power cycles and it’s consistently repeatable. The only time anything changed is that during one power cycle, on start up neither the Davega or the VX4 would connect over UART though the remote did function for throttle and brake via PPM. I have not opened the board back up to see if either display locks up when only one is connected to the uSplit, but I do know that neither do when they’re directly connected (individually) to the Unity.

1 Like

Latest Davega firmware is 5.06rc3. just check the wiring mate…We had the same issue and having the wiring config correct fixed the freezing problem.

Ah I see now that the latest Davega firmware is only available via a wired connection. Will follow the instructions and update mine soonest. And I’ll physically double check the wiring too. All I’ve done since it was mentioned is to look at pictures of the VX4’s plug and compare them to pictures of the Davega’s. RX and TX seem to be positioned in the same location, but I’ll admit to not going beyond that. Thank you for helping.

1 Like

@me_ashman, thank you for bringing the tx/rx detection issue to my attention. I believe my bench setup has had them all aligned since the original implentation of that feature so I would not have caught that bug. I will test with them not aligned and see if I can reproduce the issue.

@Techna, thanks for the info on your setup. I want to recreate your exact scenario on my bench, but I cant find any Unity supplier with one in stock. Maybe the Xenith ESC is equivalent enough for this testing?

@BuildKitBoards, can you advise if the Xenith is close enough to the Unity in regards to the UART coms for me to use it for replicating this issue? From what I can tell, it is, but Id like to confirm before pulling the trigger.

1 Like

Tough to know if @BuildKitBoards will answer technical questions (especially on the forum) because its no longer ran by Jared.

He is still in the videos so idk probably still around to answer stuff like that just not running day to day operations. just FYI best to email now I think.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I can get some answer. If not, I’lll just go through email.

Or if I could get a genuine unity that would be great. That would let me have a 1:1 setup for debuging this and most potential future issues.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s esc specific, we all had the same issue using different esc’s. Maker x, flipsky, xenith and unity.
On the bench none of ours froze it was when we were riding that the problem occurred so at some point the automatic negotiation corrupts and the connection freezes. Matching up the tx and rx connections fixed the problem for us.

His unity would be the same as the current xenith, he is using fw5.2 and I’m using 5.3.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Even though the issue is likely not ESC dependent, I’ll pick up a Xenith to test with just in case.

All of my testing is only hold at the moment while I get my lab setup moved to my new house, but once I get settled and perform the tests, I’ll report back here.

2 Likes

Hey @Ricco

Love your work, appreciate your public communication. Long time lurker, first time posting

Just wanted to provide some user feedback with the 3 Way UART USplit (i believe i got one of the original 50/6remaining off your website a few yeats ago :smile: just missed the tester giveaway) i never updated unit.

Anyway, VESC seems to continuously display a “Could Not Read Firmware Version, make sure selected port belongs to VESC” when connected to the Flipsky Bluetooth module.

i also seem to have fried it and a MAXGO Nelf Led controller (uses uart as well to note motor speeds for led illumination). I never confirmed if i wired the bluetooth unit as 3.3 or 5v and i interpret from your threads that i shouldnt mix 3 and 5v units/didnt update. So okay i learned from my mistake.

However, i have a question for you, wondering if you have been able to note and fix the Bluetooth FW version issue?

Also, my expensive crappy little light controller frying has led me to try to develop my own firmware for a signal control system via rf and an arduino.

I was wanting to also ask if you were planning to open source or post more about the testing processes so we could all work to increase the amount of reliable, compatible devices?

Thanks again for all your work boss

2 Likes

Thanks for the support man! Sorry for the delayed response.

Since I do not have the flipsky bluetooth modules, I have not tested this directly my self, however since you had not updated the FW of the uSplit, it is very possible this issue was fix in a later update. To check, I have ordered both flipsky bluetooth module versions. I will be able to verify shortly after receiving them.

That is correct, you should not mix 3.3v and 5v. That will typically lead to one of the devices getting damaged. If 5v is provided to a 3.3v device, then it will get damaged. If 3.3v is provided to a 5v device, it will not usually become damaged, but rather not operate.

Not yet. I am still debugging the issues reported to me, so I would like to keep the FW private in case a third party wants to begin producing knock off uSplits. If I become to overwhelmed with new projects, which could very well happen soon, I would open source the FW so that issue support can continue by anyone willing.

1 Like

Holy heck look at you go! Thanks loads for looking into that for me!!

The comment you made about the 3.3v may have been what happened. Bluetooth module may have been 3.3 and the led uart controller for sure ran 5v. The controller did work for awhile but i noticed at end of life it was getting really hot (perhaps due to trying to handle 5 and 3.3 volts idk) ? Idk why the usplit doesnt work anymore but possibly too much miscommunication.

Anyway, any idea when youll have more batches available? Website has said “backorder” for a while, im still in love with your device. Am needing another please aha

1 Like