uSplit - UART Splitter for VESC-based ESCs

You can tell which device is the uSplit by going to (while the uSplit is powered and plugged in) Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Com Ports

The uSplit should show up as “BOSSA Program Port”. If none of them are listed under that name, you may have a driver issue. In that case, reinstalling BOSSA may correct the driver.

Which HW version of the uSplit do you have? It would be written under the “uSplit” text on the PCB.

1 Like

Is this open source?

V1.0

yep i’m pressing the button upon connecting it vis usb.

let me try what you are saying here and i’ll report back

edit okay this works
so comm 8 keeps crashing when i select it on bossa

edit 2
success?
it didn’t crash this time so :tipping_hand_man:
Thanks Matt!

btw what are the new features? i may have missed that

1 Like

I don’t think so.

@Ricco

1 Like

@Nordle, sorry for the very late response. Somehow I didn’t see the notifications for the last few replies. This is not opensource at the moment. I do plan to make it open source once I no longer have time to support it but at the moment it remains closed.

@PixelatedPolyeurthan, the only changes in the last few FW versions have been to improve the reliability of the UART communication. That should result in packet’s being dropped less frequently and less situations that may cause permanent (until reset) loss of communication.

1 Like

random idea, for a related but different tool.

What about a uart to can fwd bridge? this hypothetical device would allow you to add as many existing uart devices as you need via can bus.

1 Like

For All that Why not Just Use CAN?

I thought about this and wish I had the time to make it. It sounds like a fun project even if it may not be completely practical. Since you need a unique device ID for each CAN device, the board could have a dip switch on it to allow the user to set the ID. It would not be practical since unless the cost of the final product could be driven low enough, it would be hard to justify converting your UART devices to CAN.

1 Like

Whoa infinity logger thread talked about this same idea:

1 Like

first time Usplit user here… neoboxv6 = davega/metr
Everything works, but the Usplit will cause the metr and davega to lock up usually within 10-15 seconds. Nothing will work again until I power cycle. Then same shit…

1 Like

Read all the firmware update process, downloaded the programs, can’t get it to connect

Thanks for mentioning the firmware cause that was going to be my first question :stuck_out_tongue: In the pictures you shared, I see that it shows the uSplit is connected to COM5 and the write progress bar is up. Does it just hang there? Hopefully that is the case, because I also notice that the “Flash Offset of the BOSSA software is set to " 0x200” rather than “0x2000”. I don’t believe the tool allows writes with an offset lower than 2000, as it would brick the uSplit, but I am not certain.

Try changing offset to 0x2000 and see if that fixes the update issue. If so we’ll see if we can get the original issue sorted :slight_smile:

Its bricked. Computer won’t recognize it now

What do I need to do to get the driver updated?

Damn, sorry that lesson was learned using your uSplit. We can trade uSplits and get you going again. I’ll follow up in PM.

The issue is that the BOSSA tool corrupted the uSplits bootloader, so there is nothing that can be done except reprogramming it over JTAG, which requires a special tool.

4 Likes

Thanks man! That’s great customer service right there

4 Likes

The new Davega firmware isn’t compatible with usplit :confused: I have the same issue with it freezing after 10-15 seconds. You will need to downgrade to a v2.0 davega.

1 Like

Oh thank you for pointing this out. Hopefully this is the issue, so that I can recreate it and fix it. I don’t think my DAVEga X is up to date so it makes sense.

2 Likes

That’s what janpom told me.l

1 Like

I just released v0.10 of the uSplit FW. The changes made in this FW are:

• Compatibility with DAVEga X FW v3.x.x
  • Numerous stability improvements
  • Freeze detection
    • The uSplit will now detect conditions where communication has halted, and reset itself as an attempt to correct the issue

This FW was tested with a DAVEga X, Metr Pro, and VX2 Pro remote connected to the uSplit for over 2 hours. The DAVEga X and Metr Pro are both running the latest FWs.

Anyone who has purchased a uSplit in the past will receive an email notification of this FW update. If you did not receive one and would like to receive notifications in the future, send me a PM.

5 Likes