uSplit - UART Splitter for VESC-based ESCs

Ok great, I believe that communication with the DieBieMS is the source of the freezing you are seeing. CAN forwarded messages have proved to be challenging for the uSplit to handle in the past. Since this is a communication scheme that I have not been able to test (I do not have a DieBieMS), it is very likely there is a unique transfer happening that causes the uSplit to enter an invalid state.

Do you have a logic analyzer?

Can you try removing the DieBieMS to see if the communication still fails?

No problem! Next time I have to open my board I will check what other combinations do, as I stopped with 1 & 3.

1 Like

I have just posted a new FW (v0.9) for the uSplit to my site :smiley: This FW update should improve general stability and remove any inconsistencies in communication on the DEV ports. There should no long be the situation where a device combination works when connected to one set of DEV ports and not another set.

There are still a couple bugs that I know of and need work out, but I wanted to share the latest stable version in the meantime. The bugs I know dont show up except for when multiple packets overlap in a particular way and my only way of getting that to happen is by letting it sit and run for anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes, so testing going real slow :snail:

7 Likes

Does the update only apply to v1.2hw or both versions?

2 Likes

All versions. The v1.2 HW inadvertently helped identify some issues with the FW, but the improvements apply to all versions of the uSplit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

okay so i’m still waiting on parts, one being my battery, but in the meantime i want to upgrade all my little gadgets.

I have a Usplit from @Ricco (uart splitter) and want to upgrade it to the latest FW, i read the instructions but one thing i am unclear about is this

So remove power by unplugging the usb port or do i need to have it connected to the ESC and turn the power of my board off?
Cheers

I usually power cycle the board w the usplit connected/powered by UART. Yes, unplug usb cable also.

1 Like

I’ve updated the steps to try making this a bit clearer. The uSplit gets power from the ESC and only uses the USB cable for data transfer. To turn the uSplit on/off you need to turn the ESC on/ff. So you will need to turn you board off and on again.

1 Like

cheers man! that clears up all doubts :smile: :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Received my usplit today a stellar bit of engineering I am using in an upcoming build. Very Happy.

3 Likes

Wow that took a long time to arrive, but Im glad it did! Thanks for your support :smiley:

2 Likes

Mine arrived a few days back, forgot to mention. Thanks @Ricco !

1 Like

Are these still oos?

I currently have 13 soldered up and ready to be sold, but those have been committed to a European group buy that @MauveMaverick is putting together. Currently 7 of those are spoken for and the deadline for the group buy is June 1st. If any remain unclaimed at that point, I will post the rest to my site.

3 Likes

@Ricco, having trouble finding the instructions for updating the usplit fw on your site. All of the info seemed to be about the lights. Thank you

The instuctions for updating the uSplit FW can be found on the uSplit documentation page here: https://solidcircuits.net/usplit-documentation/

2 Likes

When do you think you’ll have stock available for US purchase?

1 Like

Now :stuck_out_tongue: I have 2 in stock on my site atm.

I also have 50 on order that should arrive in about 3-4 weeks.

1 Like

Can I have a link to those in your shop please?

1 Like