Using esk8 battery (12s5p Molicel p42a) to power Dewalt 20v max tools

Is there a simple way to convert 12s power to use with Dewalt 20v MAX tools? I got two small batteries for my drill and screw driver. I bought a DeWalt grass trimmer and it really drain those small batteries fast. Having my12s5p in a backpack would be nice for the trimmer but also for construction work.

That would let us have very light tools in hand and amazing battery in a backpack!

Does someone ever tried that? Any hints? I looked for some converters but they are rare for 18v nominal and very expensive…

1 Like

It’s absolutely possible w a buck converter.

1 Like

I use DPS5005 buck converter modules with my 10s and 12s batts to power all sorts of things. But power tools will probably pull more than 5 amps…

2 Likes

You’ll need to find out how much power (in watts) or current (in amps) your tools draw from their battery packs.

That will then be the minimum rating you will need for the output power/current from a “step-down” or “buck” converter power supply that you would use between your esk8 pack and your tools. The converter would bring your pack’s high voltage down to the correct voltage for your tools.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your replies!

@Battery_Mooch I have some troubles finding how many watts the tools are pulling. It is not written in the manual and could not find it online. I am wondering if I could get a converter for my 12s pack that would let me output many voltages (12v, 18v, 5v, etc.). I would pay once for a nice converter that allows plenty watts if that is possible.

Many buck converters have a potentiometer to adjust the output and some even have an interface/display that can be used to adjust voltage and the current limit. I don’t have any I can recommend though.

You have to know how much current the converter needs to supply though. If you draw too much current the converter will shut off or, possibly, even be damaged if not a high quality unit.

There are ways to estimate or test how much current your tool packs draw but that will not be easy. I recommend trying again to find the info online…try the tool forums, FB groups, YouTube, etc.

The local e-bike shop that I trust sells this one:

It’s out of stock, but I see it on Alibaba:

17-85V TO 3.3V-30V - sound like what you need

Thanks a lot @GnomeMeansNo !

I wonder if 15A max output will be enough… 15*20V=300 Watts. That seems low to me for power tools…

Do you know what is the worst that could happen if the power tool draws more amps than max output?

You could attach the buck converter in parallel to the 20V battery. If it’s not able to supply enough power the battery will be discharged to make up for the rest. That way you can find out what’s enough power.

You could also estimate the power consumption based on the runtime and battery capacity.