USB-C for charging

Compared to a full fat 10s 4a charger, the gan usb C is tiny and I could charge my phone with the same thing

2 Likes

Has anyone here solved the water problem yet? Or is the common consensus to just carry a dongle?

1 Like

Has anyone else just permanently put the charger in the enclosure and used an AC adapter on the enclosure? Then you just need a 2m 3 prong cord and still get 100W

And it’s naturally water resistant like phase leads

1 Like

I guess at that point its a question of if you want to sacrifice battery space for that convenience

For me I’d rather have more battery space and have a small box externally

3 Likes

You still need to carry the step up and power brick, they should be nearly equivalent right?

Well it depends on the size of each, and the the more important thing is that they’re smaller individually rather than one gigantic brick

Easier to store in a backpack imo, especially if they are packaged with round edges

So the exact opposite of OneWheel chargers :joy:

2 Likes

At that point you could just use a regular charger and put that in your board. Same power cord, plus you safe yourself a buck converter.

2 Likes

When I had a 10s1p short board I left the 2a charger inside the enclosure, was really easy to use, I’d just plug it in anywhere

4 Likes

This is what I’d do if I built a short commuter board

2 Likes

If you’re going to do it I’d suggest having a switch and fuse in the C- lead so you can stop the charger from leaching power, just a 2a rated waterproof switch next to the AC socket

1 Like

I was looking at those retractable AC cords on aliexpress a while ago. might be a ok fit.

1 Like

Good call! I didn’t even think of that. How about a diode?

1 Like

That might mess up the voltage sensor in the charger? But you could certainly try

1 Like

I finally ordered 4 of these PDS100 to see what happens when paralleled.

One way to avoid that problem entirely and then allow dual AC 100W PD input without question would be to have two modular 4S/5S packs that get disconnected then could be reconnected in series.

2 Likes

wait huh when would this be a thing?

so would be use something like this left pic maybe?
Funny on the right is the one I would need for this laptop.

2 Likes

Lots of companies working on it but the products and chips haven’t appeared yet. Really, really excited about this though. Cables will be a nightmare of badly done ones and fakes (since everyone will buy the cheapest ones they can find) but hopefully that settles out in a few months.

4 Likes

Just to clarify when I was talking about multiple PD sources I meant multiple different wall plugs, since I have a couple of USB PD supplies but I don’t own a matching pair of any of them. If you had multiple USB C inputs to charge a board supplied by different USB supplies, they could both be at slightly different voltages - or a bigger problem, have slightly different loose references to ground. Feeding these into one regulator on the board to charge the battery is the problem I was concerned about

I also use a cable similar to the little dongle adapters you showed. USB C on one end, 5.5mm barrel for my laptop and TS100 on the other. The USB connector housing is a bit longer and houses the spoofing chip that asks the supply for 20V

1 Like

Sorry when I quoted your text I should have made it clear I was not needing clarification moreso trying to arise someone who would like to test out these ideas.
The grounds stuff sounds concerning.

Just to get this thing on my mind out:
If you were using ac inputs let’s say then you could have each 20V output on two 5S packs still connected in series that would be oke. Then if you connected two of the DC to DC PDS100 with the inputs paralleled it would short out… Maybe.

I think requiring two chargers to work loses the convenience factor, although it certainly would not be so inconvenient given size and weight reduction from a 150W esk8 charger plus a phone/laptop charger.

Oh and the shorting thing too… Yeah best to avoid that. I think I would rather build a rectifier right into the board instead. Or have modular battery packs with many PD chargers. Hmm 4X 4S packs for a 16S sounds cool…

Okay I’m reviving this thread in my planning for my shortboard. I’m intending to use a dual USB C GaN charger in dual port mode to charge my board

I found this one on Amazon that looks really great, 60W+60W capable with both ports capable of the full 20v.

Razer has one too that is incredibly expensive, but it’s razer so I trust their power ratings more and there’s a review with a picture of the actual brick, it appears the razer is capable of 20v3.25a + 20v2.35a simultaneously, which gives us 65+47w

I’ll use these in parallel, with two USB C cables, giving me the option to fast or slow charge depending on how I’m feeling. This should give me two PD options of 20V3A. On the receiving side, I’d be using two PD receiver boards, both forced 20v, 20v5a rated. These two boards would then have their outputs connected in parallel to the boost converter, boosting the voltage up to 10s.

Anyone wanna fact check me before I buy stuff?

Edit:
Found another good one that says it can do 60w + 30W, 20v on both ports

This one looks okay but it doesn’t say it can do 20v on both ports

What testing would I need to do to see if the two usb ports are isolated? I wonder

4 Likes