Upgrading esk8 battery.

I was also considering taking smaller packs a wiring them up in series. For example 2, 5s battery’s put in series. How many Ah do you think the pack would need to get 6 ish miles of range?

5Ah (= 5000mAh) at 10S (42V)

But if you use the cheapest 5000mAh 5S lipos you can find you might have bad results as they can just puff and die, possibly in a spectacular fire.

You need to get ones with a high enough C rating. Higher the better, and most of the C numbers are exaggerated or straight-up lies, but above 50C or 100C would be best. It’s hard to know for sure since accurate numbers are hard to come by.

And I also recommend a BMS for them

Yep, I know. I have and use hobby grade rc’s with the same lipo’s, so I know the safety. I have experienced puffing before.

1 Like

Do you think these would work well in the board?

This is five 2S lipos, but the process for two 5S lipos would be similar.

1 Like

It’s hard to say because I don’t know the true specs on those batteries, nor do I know how much power the Blink S draws.

Would it be possible to wire the battery’s directly to the esc rather than to a BMS and then the esc?

Sure, but then you have to take the skateboard apart every time you want to charge it.

F that.

The BMS is for charging.

Oh. Ok. I was considering 3D printing a battery box that could un-clip. The stock compartment is really thin, so the 5s lipo’s wouldn’t fit anyway.

Then use five 2S lipos.

What’s the upside in that?

Maybe five thin lipos would fit better than two thick ones.

They still wouldn’t fit. The board use 18650’s I believe, so it is about the height of one of those. The compartment is maybe 1 and a half inches tall. I will tear in apart tomorrow and get exact dimensions.

1 Like

HRB has good batteries from what I hear, I personally used Lipos in my first build for a couple years, only got <10 miles of range but I wasn’t a very good rider back then either

You’re gonna have a hard time fitting those in the Acton enclosure tho, it’s tiny. I bet Acton used really bad cells back then, It’s probably a 10s2p pack or something like that

@b264 I just did a little more research and the boosted mini s is a pretty comparable board to mine. The boosted has a 2.5 ah battery and gets 7 miles of range. Would that mean that I could get away with a 3 ah battery and still get good range?

More likely Boosted is just exaggerating. Don’t trust numbers coming from folks profiting from a sale.

I wouldn’t get 11km (7 miles) of range from a 2500mAh battery.

3 Likes

No offense, but it may be best to consider just starting fresh and building a completely new DIY or buying a better prebuilt. I looked this thing up and it seems to be a 10s1p pack and I believe 18650 at that. You’re never going to get a whole lot of range out of a 10s1p 18650 pack. It’s also a single hub so I assume pretty low performance. If you’re going to bother to go to the lengths of building a battery or having one built, making an enclosure, etc. it might be worth it to upgrade the drivetrain as well. Since it’s single hub that probably means new trucks too. At that point all you’re using from it is probably the deck.

I’m usually not one for getting a new thing when there are other options, but it honestly seems more reasonable in this case.

2 Likes

If you send me the board I can customize a solution for you but customer work doesn’t come cheap.

Ah sir, you have hit on key point, cheap. Sending it to get a custom battery solution or even building a new board from scratch is not in the question. If I 3D print a new enclosure it’ll cost almost nothing, maybe $5-10. Two 5s Lipo’s would cost me maybe 75 to 100 dollars. I don’t need super good performance.