Upgrading e-scooter

I’m in the process of modifying a razr 150 for a guy at work.

tb vesc 4.12 electric drill 18v batteries in series and a 6374 with a modified spur for the chain done

1 Like

cool

prefer going for some 18650 or that kind of cell type

also @Brenternet thank you for your kind words

1 Like

I’m like 99% sure its a 24 volt battery (it even says it on their website). I once upgraded a razor dirt bike, and I’m pretty sure they use the exact same internals. I plopped a 10s 5000mah lipo pack in the bike (36 volts nominal) and the controller and motor held up ok.

1 Like

so after looking into this it seems that either i have to stay below and 24v and low current or i have to change motor and vesc to

or i could try bridging all the safety bits like he did? (probably best not to)

Nope. Series. Careful. 2x 12v series makes 24. Not parallel.

Really depends on the controller,

There is so much unregulated guesswork and assumptions here it’s almost Trumpian. Be safe. Wear a helmet

3 Likes

Can’t you measure?

The batteries I use are 18650s I just don’t have to worry about a bms as it’s all built I’m hot swap capable etc they’re only 20Rs but for $15 us each (10 inside) it’s a no brainer

1 Like

Fuck, I somehow thought he found 2 24V batteries. You are right. Will edit my post to not cause any mistakes.

1 Like

Can’t you measure?

The bike batteries were completely dead, but by looking at the wiring I saw that they were in series. I was just saying that I’m almost certain that his scooter has the exact same internals as the dirt bike.

I also had a flipsky vesc 4.12 on hand, and swapping that in instead of the stock speed controller made a huge difference. VESCs work with e-bike throttles and dc motors, so setup was easy. It took 40 motor amps at 36 volts to kill the motor, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Don’t be afraid to over-volt the motor, I think that its power is seriously underrated. Also, if you have an extra $50, definitely get a flipsky vesc. The acceleration on the bike was scary fast with the vesc, I could only imagine how it would feel on a scooter.

1 Like

DC motors will sustain quite a bit more than their rating. In fact, with some active cooling on the stator can, you could probably run this at 20 or so more percent than indicated pretty reliably for a few hours. You’ll outlast.most of the actual single reaction failures but still be susceptible to the highwr reaction energy stuff that happens more cumulatively

1 Like

I ran a super old Texas instruments 12V DC motor controller on 48V and It worked just fine.

https://firstwiki.github.io/wiki/jaguar
Jaguar Motor Controller · FIRSTwiki

As well as a CIM, but I knew that was good for 48V.

Some of these scooter motors are completely overkill. I’ve pushed 48 V scooters to 84 V with no problem… except for the fact that tires don’t last.

3 Likes

So would their be a problem with a vesc to a dc motor or would that be fine

Lol yeah I was gonna come in here and say this. Also they can pull more amps than you might think sometimes. These lead acid batteries might not be the prettiest things but they initially hold a lot of charge and can pump amps like no one’s business in the right application. I wonder if the controller has any useful information printed on a sticker

----> Car batteries or truck batteries push like 300-1200A
----> Motorcycle batteries (not too different than these) push like 30-60 depending on the battery

Then again with lead acid, the more current you draw, the less endurance… but that is pretty much the same with all batteries so

1 Like

So will it work to go vesc flipsky 4.12

6s7p Samsung 29e (2.9ah 8.25a discharge $2 a cell)

And their stock dc motor(would be upgraded later on)

Also what wires do i have to connect from the motor to the esc

Yes, and you can connect the dc motor wires to the two outside wires on the vesc, and set it up as a dc motor in the vesc tool. Also, for a little more power you could go 10s. It would over-volt the motor, but I think it can handle it.

1 Like

Prefer going low volt as I am not looking for speed rather range

Also any recommendations on cells

I don’t know, I’ve only ever used lipos.