{Updated} SOUL SURFER (V1.2) | 6370 190KV Flipsky Motor | 2x 5S 8000mAh Lipo Batteries | 4.12 Flipsky FSESC | (COMPLETED...For now)

You can use a lighter from a bit of a distance, putting it directly on will burn the heat shrink but if it’s below or you have a camping lighter that you can point at it that works well

1 Like

I agree with xsynatic - that joint looks cold. That soldering iron looks like a generic ~25-35W one, which is not enough heat IMO. It can be done with that iron, but it’s a lot harder and slower than using something more powerful, say in the 60-80 watt range.

Pro tip for soldering XT connectors and keeping the bullets from melting loose and moving inside the plastic housing: Plug the other half of the connector in while you’re soldering, it will keep everything aligned.

What does reflow mean…

1 Like

It means to re-melt all the solder. Basically you want to ensure that it is one solid solder blob, not two (or more) solder blobs just sitting on each other, only a little bit connected.

2 Likes

The solder iron I have is 90 watts. Just I didn’t add enough solder but today I fixed it

1 Like

Soldered another electronic today. Actually soldered way better then the VESC but tomorrow will fix whatever needs to be perfected, but decided to see if everything is working accordingly (I plugged in the lipo for a second to just see if anything lit up, it did so it’s a good sign everything is wired correctly)

2 Likes

just a couple bits and bobs! Then its shreddy!

2 Likes

Didn’t you go with lipo? That looks like a li-ion bms. Just make sure to change the settings… probably already covered though… I’m just surfing.

Yup, it’s for Lipo, was recommended to get this BMS

1 Like

Lipo = li-ion. Same chemistry, same microarchitecture inside the cells. Only real difference is lipos are in soft pouches, whereas li-ions are in metal cans. As a result, they behave pretty much the same in terms of discharge and voltage characteristics. Lipos tend to be a little more fragile and less tolerant of being cycled hard (discharged too low), just because RC lipos are optimized for power density, not energy density.

1 Like

Little difference in voltage no? Ha I know the difference between the two… from my gathering though there is slight voltage differences that could use some settings adjustment… good thing he went with a bms that allows those .

So I would have to disagree with your statement li-ion=lipo… as you clearly stated many differences in your own comment.

No, not really. Li-ion and lipo cells both have a max charge of 4.2, a nominal voltage of 3.6/3.7, and a minimum voltage of 2.5 volts per cell. They’re functionally the same on the inside, both mechanically and chemically.

The only real differences are:
A: whether they’re optimized for high power and short lifespans (RC lipo), or lower power, and longer lifespans (li-ion), and
B: What kind of package they come in - pouch, or can.

Due to their more fragile construction and being optimized for power rather than long life, most people usually dont run them down as far, just to make them last more cycles. But they are perfectly capable of it.

They don’t need different BMSs (like you would need for LiFePO4, for example - totally different chemistry and voltages).

1 Like

I stand corrected… who cares about nominal voltage… ha as long as he properly bypasses the bms he will be fine… and I still stick by lipo does not equal li-ion. That’s my main argument I guess. They are two totally separate beasts.

That’s fair. They are a little bit different.

About as different as the Toyota 86 and the Subaru BRZ.
Same chassis
Same engine
Same transmission
Same interior
Slightly different body
Different name on the front.

Totally different cars. Totally.

2 Likes

Hello people of the forum, i have returned. Been a few long weeks, now I’ve gotten the chance to continue the build. Here’s what I’ve been up to

3 Likes

Nice nice nice! the closer you get to final assembly the more you need to touch up all the little details!

2 Likes

Few updates on my build, I’m getting so close to being finished. The hype is getting bigger and bigger each time I complete a task. Finally got the end caps on the connectors fully on, showing that I’m satisfied with my solder joints, which that’s surprised me the most. Didn’t know shit when I started and now I’m pretty average at soldering, crazy how far practice and a few times burning yourself with the iron can get you

My deck I created from veneer has been painted. Have to add my design, drill the holes for the trucks and get the trucks mounted, electronics. I got my BMS left. Everything is complete, tested (everything working properly) did some research on the charge port, fuse, understand where everything goes now. We’re approaching the end my friends, never thought I would say that. Was expecting to give up half way but. Everything’s been smooth, don’t wanna jinx it of course. Here’s a few pictures, will be keeping you updated because where I live, it’s been hot as balls. Next week is suppose to be nice weather, perfect to get the board done :slightly_smiling_face: (Also gonna be naming this thing when it’s done, sure when I got it all pretty and assembled, it’ll come to me)

The deck all painted

Post a lot of shit on my Instagram, (I skate in general so I post a lot of content on there as well)

Lining up the balance wires to get ready for the BMS to be soldered

3 Likes

Updates for you all

1. Got all the electronics finished (finally lol)
  2. Spray painted my design onto my enclosure (had a difficulty with the paint I originally used but a new one shortly fixed the problem)
  3. Finished assembling the motor mount, well adding loctite :grin:
  4. (Not completed yet) programming the BMS and VESC

Pictures and videos below!

2 Likes

Daily updates rolling in / news: The build is approaching its finish line of completion! I can confidently say that it’ll be done this week, along with the programming of the BMS / VESC. Even a test run maybe during the weekend :slightly_smiling_face: just to make sure everything is working the way it’s suppose to
———————————————————————

What’s been done the last 22 days (last time I posted on the thread / P.S as I’m working on the DIY electric skateboard, working on another board as well for a sibling. Their about on the same stage as it was planned, for a awesome photoshoot when their completed (the other board is not electric, of course lmao):
———————————————————————

1: Enclosure is officially completed, 4 coats of clear have been added and it’s fully protected

2: The deck is approaching completion, it’s on the 2nd coat of clear, got 2 more to go till the decks done

3: Truck holes have been marked and ready to be drilled out onto the board
———————————————————————

What’s left to complete:

1: drilling the holes for the power button / charge port / drilling the truck holes

2: finding appropriate hardware for the trucks since there will be some big riser pads on it for those big 90mm wheels. Also for the enclosure but I got an idea what I need based on a thread I looked at

3: Adding foam to protect the sensitive parts inside (recommendations will be appreciated of how I should do that)

4: programming the VESC / BMS

5: a fucking name to call this thing
——————————————————

That’s it for now, the next time I might update this thread is when it’s complete, you’ll catch me around the forum tho posting shit

Photos:
——————————————————-

4 Likes