Universal CNC Motor guard (help needed)

Hello all. I just had an idea about an hour ago in the shower and I checked around and I didn’t see anything similar. Since summer is coming up and I figure I’ll have a bit of time, I thought I’d create something new and hopefully bring it to all of y’all.

My idea started with my problem of motors scraping on things on the ground. I figured I could 3d print a motor guard that will protect the motor from hitting the ground while leaving the top portion open so that I could look at the glorious motors. The only problem is that I have gear drive. If the motor guard breaks, then I will have to remove my gears to replace it (Loctite 648 would not like that). Then I decided that if I was going to CNC this, I might as well share it with y’all.

All I need from you is a comment that tells me the model of motor that you have as well as the actual diameter of the motor (please not theoretical). This is so that I can make a model that will be as close as possible to the side of the motor without actually touching it. I would love to call the first model good at 64mm (cause it slightly larger than 63mm), but I don’t trust manufacturer specifications or assumptions.

Here is a list of motors that I want to get an exact measurement for. Any other motor will help as I will likely forget some popular ones.

SKP/Radium 64XX motors
Flipsky 63XX motors (BH & not BH)
BKB 63XX Motors
Maytech 63XX motors
APS 63XX motors
TorqueBoards 63XX motors
MBoards 63XX motors
BioBoards 65XX motors
SKP 7490 motors
Turnigy 52XX motors
Flipsky 7070 motors

Don’t worry about checking to see if there is already a comment with your motor type. I can pick through myself.

I will update with a picture of the model as soon as I get it finished. I will do some prototyping with a 3d printer sometime next week on a generic model and get y’all’s opinion for tweaks.

Any information helps. Cheers :beers:

2 Likes

Do you mean something like this?

The best solution is to add more ground clearance, if you keep smashing your motors in the ground they will fail quickly, no matter which brand they are.

1 Like

No. Also the point was to make it universal which those are not.

1 Like

Yes, I know this. Getting scratches on your motors is still inevitable though, and you don’t always want that

I’m having a hard time picturing how it will look. Are you thinking similar to the guard on the back of the Hoyt UAV/Rosa trucks but on the bottom side of the drivetrain?

Not quite. I’ll get a model done in a day or two to show the general shape