Unity won't turn on

Can someone please explain to me what the unity switch is obviously relating to The Unity or Raptor 2 but unfamiliar with what that switch actually does? I am about to finish up my first build and have a question regarding that… thx

It turns the unity on mate

5 Likes

Raptor 2.1 enclosure, battery, unity and other internals. The rest is DIY/

I have a similar problem. My Unity started turning off momentarily over hard bumps, then I dropped my board and when I hit the switch the board would turn on for a split second and turn straight off. Now it wont turn on at all. My feeling is that the PCB housing the BMS, sparkswitch and inputs for the LCD and Switch is done, these are so hard to replace. Anyone experienced this issue? if its not fixable, anyone swapped out the BMS and spark switch for something more reliable that I can copy?

2 Likes

Oh hey Moja (If you didn’t realise its Ben)
My unity is completely dead, but I think the root cause has been my battery. My instincts from what you said would lead to a broken switch. Have you tried shorting the switch pins? You could always swap over to a loop-key or if it is the switch, you can have mine if I can find it

2 Likes

The switch is momentary not latching isn’t it? So “flipskybumps” shouldn’t turn it on and off.

I realised my issue was the switch is a big weakness, after enough impact it stops functioning, I had a spare but next time I’ll switch it out for a rocker switch

1 Like

You could do away with the switch and use roll to start?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. I’ll post an update tonight after I rule things out

1 Like

Hey Anubis, my unity also is no longer powering on and my pcb looks similar to yours, something blowing near R103. Did you learn anything else about what went wrong?

1 Like

Broken antispark/ precharge circuit seem to be a common fail. I have revived a couple of dead unities for some swedes by removing parts from this circuitry and bypassing the input fets. The task Is slightly more tricky than a DRV repair and takes a bit more effort. Also you would need an external antispark/ loopkey afterwards.

(Could of course be other reasons why the unity is dead. Easy to find out)

@zero_ads
Throw me a PM if you are interested in me fixing it for you.

1 Like

Im getting two in from @evohejax in a bit @Anubis if you want you can have em

1 Like

Lol that’s was a really long time ago

1 Like

Oh lmao this got revived it seems :rofl:

I sent it to @seaborder and he wasn’t able to fix it at all :frowning:

1 Like

Soooo u needsies? :rofl:

Nope, my unity is just sitting dead in a box with a desoldered MCU

1 Like

It wasn’t because of your battery though right, I saw you mentioned something about your battery. Just wanna make sure I don’t kill another ESC if it’s due to my battery…

1 Like

am also curious what the likely cause was

1 Like

My unity death? It was. The battery had intermittent power loss which killed it. Presumably the voltage would drop to 0 and shoot back up and that eventually killed it. Inrush current or just large amounts of current from the phase wires.

1 Like

You think this was likely due to the BMS? And did you just put in a loopkey or external antispark to mitigate the issue for next time?