Unity replacement community wishlist

I can’t release the app. I really appreciate the willingness to fund stuff, but whether or not I can release it isn’t dependent on the money. If I could have, I would have. And anyways, I’m sure there are better things coming down the pipeline…

4 Likes

Can I buy it?

1 Like

Is it because Enertion owns the rights?

1 Like

Ability to toggle sensored sensorless from an app. Would be gold for fault finding.

3 Likes

Pfft. I’m in aus and Android is huge. At least 50 50.

Even this rat has a USB C port! It’s the future!

12 Likes

Can we get a VESC for rats?

Edit: those are already looking like some international rectifier fets, I think we’re half way there Frank!

1 Like

To get this straight: There are multiple authors involved and any of them have legal grounds. Apple App Store policies are diametrally opposing the GPL terms! Because of that fact, GPLed software can’t be in the App store.
That’s why I asked you. Otherwise you might have put effort into an App that can’t go live for license reasons. Since you didn’t incorporate Vedder or other developer’s code, there is no issue. I just wanted to let you know that there is a severe license issue when integrating GPLed code into an iOS app, especially if multiple authors are involved.

About the iOS vs Android debate: I love both, have both. They all have their pro’s and cons so use what YOU like. Which brings me to the USB-C debate. This years new iPhone will switch lightning for usb c. It’s not about wether you use the port on your esc alot or not, it’s about the idea one cable for everything. With one cable, I can charge my laptop, ipad, 1+7t, my wireless headphones, my mouse, powerbank, etc. Alot of people, including myself, consider this a very important buying factor for a new piece of tech. I literally will not buy something if it has the old micro usb port. I’d rather wait another year.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum my man, glad to get you involved

3 Likes

USB-C requires tiny pcb traces very close together, and a special microchip. PCB power transistors require very thick copper on the pcb for high current. You can’t etch very thick copper for power transmission to the very tight pcb tolerances (like on mobile phones) needed for USB-C. It is mutually exclusive requirements that pushes to a dual PCB stack, which costs too much money.

Edit: BLE requires no cables at all. The only problem with BLE is that there is no backwards compatibility, so if you use custom VESC-derved software, you’re effed and need to pull and recompile every week because they update VESC-Tool too much!

2 Likes

We ride $2000+ skateboards… I don’t think it costs to much to use modern cables.

3 Likes

I never argued against BLE, so anything about it is irrelevant. Why can’t we have both.

1 Like

Sorry @Skunk for my knee-jerk reaction… That’s probably why no one has done it YET. But I am game to try!

Ahem. I’m a professional PCB designer with a seat of Altium20 and a dynamometer. If someone wants to help me with some of the software UI aspects of these requirements (and with the prototyping costs) I can probably make a design that meets a lot of these requirements.

I’ve done a bunch of designs using the VESC software. I just finished my latest design for an electric hydrofoil controller which is conduction cooled to the water, here is a video of that:

3 Likes

None of this is relevant to USB-C as it’s currently being applied to these. It’s USB2.0 spec, just using a USB-C type connector for a more robust connection.

It’s a 115k USB/UART connection. It’s fine.

7 Likes

@DerelictRobot you’re right, I was lost in the blinding complexity that is USB c and not remembering that you can just run d+ and d- on the two middle pins and its the same thing as USB 2.

4 Likes

@DerelictRobot @nickw1881

andrew, nick,

this is not how arguments work on the internet. please try again.

6 Likes

Sorry. Ahem:

@nickw1881 Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Also sup Altium20. But I’m lazy and use Eagle still when I can get away with it.

9 Likes

Ahh, a fellow expert in drawing colored lines! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

7 Likes

My wishlist? @blasto, especially @Deodand,

• I would like to run 18s,
    -dual unity-replacement in 48 hours at Barrett Junction. It’s just 30 miles from San Diego
  • and I already have a build that could fit the lipos with heatsink space for days. (13.5 x 14 x 3 mm) x 2

Also tomorrow is my birthday and I haven’t been fighting with cars, … lately. :grimacing:

4 Likes