[UK] 10S5P Battery Pack - Samsung 30Q Cells - Brand new

30Qs are actually under-rated by Samsung - which is bloody weird but has been confirmed in independent tests. And obviously they are configured as 5P in the pack so have a higher discharge capacity than a 1P config

appreciate you passing on the info to your friend - thanks man!

I mean you are talking to Battery jesus

Usually I give 30Q a 10-12A discharge per cell when I set up boards

1 Like

:grinning: I am sure this is not new info to many and not trying to “teach grandma to suck eggs”, but hopefully useful to any non-deity reading the post

2 Likes

Of course.
A 5P pack of 15A cells would be rated at 75A. :slightly_smiling_face:

“Under-rated” as measured how? Samsung rates them exactly where they want them to be rated for the claimed cycle life and desired performance. 30Q’s can, of course, be used at above their rating. This is true of any cell. But that’s a capability, not a rating or indication of the cell being under-rated.

At 15A continuous a 30Q in free air will reach almost 70°C. Inside a wrapped-up pack, with hot cells next to it, the cells will easily exceed their 75°C max temp rating. At 16A (80A rating / 5) you are toasting those cells. That increases the risks of using those cells and shortens their life.

You might be thinking “but no one does that, no one uses a cell continuously until it gets that hot”. But that’s what a rating is for, what it tells you. It says how hard you can run the cells without that kind of overheating (if in open air).

If a company rates the pack it doesn’t matter whether we will use the pack that way or not. What’s important is the legitimacy of the rating.

The 30Q is a good cell and can be used hard. But at above 12A or so the voltage sag starts becoming disproportionately large and performance really starts to suffer when compared to true “power” cells like the P26A, VTC5A or VTC5D, etc. This is true for pulsed or continuous use.

Put together the performance hit at higher current levels and the heating the cells see in a pack and, personally, I am troubled by a pack rating that is above the rating given by the manufacturer for the cells.

I do understand the extraordinary pressure these companies feel to rate their packs as high as possible though. The competition is insane. That’s the reason, certainly, for high ratings but it can never be accepted as a valid excuse.

75A also seems very optimistic for the gauge of wire selected for the main leads. The insulation might not melt at 75A but the power losses will not be small.

A final concern for the pack assembler…setting a pack rating that results in being over the manufacturer’s rating for each cell opens up the pack assemblers to some serious legal liability if there is an accident. This isn’t an issue for a company in China (no one can touch them) but would be something avoided by any company in the EU or US. Any accident with the pack and the courts would slam them once the high rating was mentioned.

I don’t say any of this to put down this pack or dissuade anyone from buying the pack. I’ve already told two people about it who might be interested. What the manufacturer rates the pack is a number, not affecting the quality of the pack assembly or its performance.

But we have to be careful about what we call a “rating”, the differences between a rating and just a capability, and how we can safely use a pack and have great performance with long cell life.

4 Likes

lots of re-sellers (i.e. fogstar who I seem to remember as having a good reputation) rate them at 20A. a quick search of this forum using “30q 20a” will also return a lot of results. but I am happy to be corrected :slight_smile:

I have also seen tests where they rate them at 20A discharge - but I didn’t bookmark any links.

some graphs i found on page 1 of google for interest:

but not going to argue - it’s much better to keep lower discharge rates for all the reasons you stated.

I’m not claiming anything on the specs of the cells - because I haven’t done these sorts of tests on the cells under lab conditions.

in fact I am gonna edit the post and drop the discharge to 70 amps to make sure I am not over-stating anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 30Q page on the lygte web site rates the 30Q at 15A continuous. :slightly_smiling_face:
There is a 20A graph but that demonstrates its performance at 20A. It doesn’t mean it is rated at 20A continuous. It can be run at 20A as long as long as you stop before the cell reaches 75°C but that’s not a continuous rating.

This is all very mixed up in what rating we’re actually discussing, continuous vs “burst”, and how those relate to the “I won’t explode” capabilities of the cell. You’ll see vendor web sites used the highest rating they can, 20A, without explaining what it means. That’s not inherently dangerous but it makes comparing cells confusing and leads to lower performance.

Good talking to you about all this though and hoping you can sell the pack quickly!

Just to add additional data for consideration, here is Samsung’s rating for the cell….

3 Likes

I always love a good chat about things like this, thanks for your input :slight_smile: It’s great to learn new stuff and always good to correct any assumptions I have been under that are in fact not quite right.

Appreciate you man, and love having debates with folks such as yourself who are good fun/nice and avoid the “keyboard warrior” style of posting. Which is usually the case when they actually know what they are talking about :grin:

3 Likes

He’s one of the good guys.
Stick the dims of the battery on the listing you plum. Someone might be able to find an enclosure to stick it in then.
Hope you’re good man, catch you in the sunshine. :grin:

2 Likes

how very dare you sir! I identify as a satsuma these days :rofl:

for sure ! you down in London any time in the next few months? First round is on me

1 Like

Guiltily just norf of Lahndahn now. But off tomorrow to pack to go to France for a bit. Will likely be around late April/early May.

1 Like

sweet - see you in a few weeks then! have fun in France.

2 Likes